One pan coconut Rice
If you are new to Nigerian food. Rice dishes are the easiest Nigerian style dish you can adapt to.
We quite a number of rice dishes here on the blog so feel free to browse through.
Today’s recipe is for a simple coconut rice dish.
Lets get cooking.
Prep Time: 5 mins Yield: 8 servings
Cook Time: 45 mins
- 4 cups Basmati Rice washed thoroughly and drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) crushed Tomatoes 🍅
- 1 can (13.5 oz/400ml) coconut milk
- 2 small habenero peppers
- ¾ cup cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp Onion powder
- 3 Cups chicken stock
- 1 cup of green peas (optional)
- 8 hot dog franks chopped or 1/4 pound of ham chopped
- bouillon to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F / 200°C / gas mark 6
- In a sauce pan mix in the oil, crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, onion powder, coconut milk, spices and pepper.
- Heat it up to get it warm. It’s always better to start cooking your rice with hot liquids. It helps to kick off the cooking process
- Pour in the drained rice in a roast pan then pour in the liquid mixture. The liquid should hit just about an inch above the level of rice. If not add 1/2 a cup of warm water no more.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Add the chopped hotdogs or ham and the green peas.
- Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and place in the lower rack of the oven
- Bake for 45 mins or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Allow to rest in the oven for about 5 mins.
- Bring out from oven and fluff* the rice up with a spoon.
- Serve with Chicken or beef or enjoy as it is.
Will you be trying this recipe?
If you enjoyed this tutorial, please spread the word; share with friends and family.
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear how it went…… Got questions? Drop a few lines in the comments section below.
Don’t have a question and want to say hello, you are welcome to comment below too.
Do subscribe for more delicious awesomeness from our kitchen to your inbox.
Stay well friend.