As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Nigerian sandwich is one of the easiest sandwich recipe you will make. Requires just 4 ingredients which include the bread, a kids favorite that can be served for breakfast, packed in their lunch box or served as appetizers in a party. Learn how to make this easy sardine sandwich recipe with easy step by step photos included that brings back fond memories from my childhood. The step by step photos will get you making this is no time.
Homemade Nigerian sandwich Recipe.
Sandwiches are always a delightful and easy breakfast recipe to make. This particular one brings back fond memories from my childhood that’s why I love to make them. It is quite different from the American sardine sandwich which is made with cream cheese and other ingredients.
Anyone can make this breakfast sandwich so get the kids involved, they would have fun not just while munching on it but also while making it.
Ingredients needed to make the easiest breakfast sandwich.
Cayenne pepper (optional)
How to make this Sandwich Step by Step
This is an overview with step by step photos. Full recipe details in printable card below. Be sure to watch the slideshow to out it all in perspective.
Pic 1-3; mix filling ingredients, spread it on bread
Pic 4-6; cover bread, cut off crusts and cut into desired shapes.
Make ahead instructions and how to store.
These sandwiches can be made up to 24 hrs ahead. After making them, cover tightly with cling film. Leave in a cool area in your kitchen counter or in the refrigerator.
How to cut sandwiches.
There are various ways to cut your sandwiches, you can cut them in squares, triangles or little rectangles like I did in my cucumber sandwiches recipe. You will love this detailed post on how to cut sandwiches.
Quick Recipe notes and tips
You can swap out the butter for mayonnaise it will still taste amazing.
The cayenne pepper in this recipe is optional. You can skip it or adjust upwards or downwards depending on the level of your heat tolerance.
I removed the crusts after filling the bread, but You can remove the crust before spreading the filling on the bread. If you do the latter, you can make some homemade bread crumbs with it.
Cover the sandwiches with cling film before serving so they don’t dry out from exposure to air.
Other Nigerian Sandwich Recipes to try
Nigerian Club Sandwich
Nigerian Corned beef Sandwich
Prep Time: 15 mins. Yield: 20 triangles
- 10 slices of bread
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1 tin of sardines in oil
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper(optional)
- Assemble your ingredients
- Mix the butter and sardines together in plate and mash it up till smooth.
- Add the oil to help make it more spreadable.
- Add the pepper flakes and mix in.
- Set aside.
- With a knife, remove the crusts from the bread 2 at a time until all is done.
- With a table knife spread the sardine mix evenly on one side of the bread and cover with the opposite side.
- When all the sandwiches have been made, cut into desired shape I prefer the triangles for breakfast purposes mini squares for appetizer bites.
- Serve with some fruits and milk for breakfast. Enjoy
- When you cut out the crust. Don’t throw away use it for bread crumbs
- To prevent the bread from drying out, before serving, cover with cling film.
<a href=”https://www.verywellfit.com/recipe-nutrition-analyzer-4157076″ target=”_blank”><img width=”320″ height=”633.1875″ src=”https://www.verywellfit.com/thmb/MafIoHEqoHXAIPcHWLr0AyCeU90=/1000×0/Nutrition-Label-Embed-1985723228-d4913b53045a4289b5839c0ab4d1a5cb.png” /></a>