As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Simple recipes are always a delight to make and this white rice with veggies is no different. This recipe may sound like a no brainer but I have learnt in life that there is something you may think everyone knows because it comes to you easily but you would be surprised that same thing would a big deal for someone else. That’s why the saying ‘no one knows it all’ or ‘two heads are better than one’ exist. ?
This particular recipe is a big deal for me because before I got married I never thought of cooking white rice this way. Meanwhile in the other this is the kind of white rice my hubby grew up with. In other words I learnt this from my mom-in-law. The only added veggies for fried rice and occasionally jollof rice.How would you rather have white rice, Plain or Popping with colors? Check this out. Click To Tweet
So when I saw ‘grandma’ ( as I fondly call her) making rice this way I was thrilled as much as I was delighted. I thought to myself Chi why haven’t you ever thought of making your white rice this way. As you may have noticed I love pretty and delicious and this definitely fits into that because it is so pleasant to the eyes?
Some benefits to eating white rice this way;
- The beauty of course. It is appealing to the eyes.
- You get to sneak your veggies in well not sneak per se lol.
- You could actually eat less rice than you ordinarily would have if the rice was cooked alone.
So you see why I am sharing this recipe? There may be Someone out there who could be like me and hasn’t thought to make this pretty and nutritious rice? Dont forget to share this post with family and friends…. you never know ?.
Thanks for visiting our kitchen today. Hope you enjoy your weekend and that you give this recipe a try.
Do you have other ways you make your white rice more interesting to dig into? I would love to know. Please share in the comments.
PS: Remember to Subscribe so you never miss a recipe.
White Rice With Veggies
- 2 cups Parboiled long grain rice (I used Basmati)
- 200 g String beans ( washed and cut up in 2in sizes )
- 200 g Carrots ( cleaned and cut up in cubes or thin slices )
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice thoroughly till water runs clear.
- Transfer rice to a pot and add water to about double the level of the rice in the pot. Add about 1 Tbsp of salt.
- Bring rice to boil without the lid on and allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Pour in the veggies and stir. Cover pot and allow to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Turn off heat, pour rice into a colander to drain. ( be careful so you don't get a heat burn)
- Transfer back into pot and cover.
- Serve hot or warm with any sauce or stew you like.