Nigerian Roasted Peppers Oxtail stew
Making any stew with roasted peppers is a game changer. this Nigerian oxtail stew is a winner anyday
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 10 or more people
- 1150 g Oxtails (precooked)
- 6 large Red bell Peppers (washed, deseeded and set aside for roasting)
- 3 Fresh Tomatoes (to be roasted)
- 2 habenero peppers (to be roasted)
- 4 medium onions (2 to be roasted and 2 chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- salt / bouillon powder to taste
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 cups meat stock (or enough to water down the puréed roasted peppers.)
- 1½ cups cooking oil of your choice (canola vegetable, coconut oil etc)
Roasting the peppers
Preheat oven to 450ºF
Place cleaned and cut up bell peppers, tomatoes pepper and onions in a baking sheet.
Transfer to one and roast for about 30 mins
Turn off heat and allow to cool a bit, then blend to a smooth paste. You can see exactly how I do it in this post.
Cooking the stew
Heat up oil in a sauce pan, add the chopped onions and crushed garlic, sauté till onions looks transluscent
Add the blended roasted peppers, curry powder and thyme. Then stir fry for about 2 mins
Add the meat stock, stir well. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Lower the heat and bring to boil. When the stew begins to boil, dump in the cooked oxtail.
Stir and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes on low heat. This allows the oxtail absorb the flavor of the stew Please do not leave unattended. It would burn.
Finally toss in the chopped green peppers, stir and turn off heat. Allow to cool a bit
Serve warm with Rice, boiled yam, Plantains, beans.. Your choice.?