Nigerian okro vegetable soup
This Okro Vegetable Soup is so easy to make and tastes absolutely delish Yum!!
- 1200 g assorted meats
- 500 g Okro chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 Tablespoons crayfish
- 1 to 1-1/2 cup Palmoil
- 250 g Kale vegetable chopped
- 2 habanero peppers chopped
- 250 g precooked Shrimps
Put meats in a pot add enough water to cover the meat then bring to a boil.
Add Salt, crayfish and 1/2 of chopped onions, cook meat till tender.
Pour in palm-oil and cook for a further 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Add the cooked shrimps, chopped red bell peppers and the second half of the chopped onions, Turn heat down and allow simmer for another 2 minutes.
Stir soup well. Add the chopped okro stir again then add the chopped Kale vegetables. Turn off heat immediately, Stir in the Kale then shift pot away from hot burner. Let the residual heat in the Soup finish off the cooking.
Enjoy with any swallow food of choice.
- In this recipe, I used 1-1/4 cup of palm oil. You can you less. If you want an oil free version please check out my other okro soup recipe. It has a twist that makes it delicious yet oil free.
- I don't like my okro overcooked that's why I turn off the heat as soon as I add the okro and Kale and moving the pot away from the heat. I even take an extra step of transferring the soup immediately into storage bowls to help cool the soup faster and reduce th discoloration of the okro and green vegetables.
- Assorted meats refer to a mix of different cuts of meats of your choice. could be a mix of cow foot, stockfish, tripe, cow skin etc.