My Easy Plain Okro Recipe
Plain okro is a delightful delicacy when combined with stew. its a recipe so easy to make that it will be a staple if you are a lover of this versatile vegetable.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 3 minutes
Total Time 8 minutes
- 400 g okro (chopped in large chunks for easy blending)
- 2 Tbsp iru locust beans
- 1¾ cups of water divided
- 1 tsp salt
Transfer Chopped okro into the jar of a blender,
Add iru and 1 cup of water
Blend coarsely (It will be finer than when blended with food processor. if you prefer a coarser texture see recipe notes below.)
In a Sauce pan, bring ¾ cup water to a boil,
Add 1 tsp of salt to the boiling water, then pour the blended okro and iru mix into the boiling water.
Stir, and allow to boil for about a minute leaving the pot open.
After about a minute, reduce heat to a simmer allow simmer for another minute then turn off heat.
Serve with stew and any swallow of choice even oatmeal swallow like illustrated in the pictures.
* THE CALORIE CONTENT DOESN'T INCLUDE THE LOCUST BEANS
- For a more coarse texture, use a food processor to blend okro.
- Do not add water. Blend okro to the level of coarseness you prefer, then continue with step 4 above, bearing in mind that you will need to add more water in the cooking stage.
- Some people like their iru whole. if you like yours whole too, then do not blend it with the okro, instead add it to the pot of water before bringing water to a boil.