As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Learning how to use an air fryer is an important part of learning to cook in the 21st century. The air fryer has come to revolutionize how we fry foods. It’s an appliance that’s easier to use than you think and actually produces delicious dishes. This guide will walk you through how to use an air fryer, air fryer accessories you might need and of course suggest delectable air fryer recipes you would enjoy.
Click here to pin how to use an air fryer to your board
How to use an air fryer
An air fryer is an easy device to use so take a deep breath and don’t fret. This guide will show you how in easy steps. This guide is about the air fryer and not the air fryer oven.
1. First things first, though all air fryers have the same basic principles, you need to read the manual of your air fryer there may be specific bells and whistles added to your brand of air fryer.
The brand of air fryer I use presently is Gourmia digital stainless steel 6 Qt
2. Next thing to do is to learn the parts of your air fryer
This is the entire body of the air fryer which houses all the parts of the air fryer. That’s way you find the display panel with all the buttons.
The fryer Pan ( basket )
The pan or basket is the pull out drawer like part where all the frying happens. It has a pull handle in front of it which you need to handle carefully so you don’t yank it off.
The crisper tray helps air circulation when air frying your food. This helps to crisp up your food.
Rack and metal skewers:
The removable multi purpose rack can be used for just about anything from grilling meat to roasting potatoes.
It can also be used in combination with the metal skewers for grilling kebabs.
3. Clean your pan, crisper tray with warm soapy water. Then dry with a soft cloth.
Now your appliance is ready for use.
How to cook in an air fryer. Does it need Oil?
Note that the first few times you cook with your new kitchen toy you may notice a smell of burning plastic. Don’t be alarmed. It will wear off with use.
Air fryers don’t need a lot of oil to fry food they are not deep fryers. Air fryers work like convention oven. These appliances ‘fry’ with minimal oil and ‘hot air’. Hence the saying ‘air is the new oil’.
1. Place on a stable flat surface. ( not on top of your cooker ) then plug into a wall outlet.
2. Turn it on, and tap preheat the appliance. For the gourmia brand, tap the menu icon until the preheat icon appears, then tap the power icon to begin preheating.
3. Place ingredients in the pan, do not overload. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Slide the pan into the air fryer.
4. Depending on what you are cooking, you can either select your desired temperature manually or use a preset. To use a preset, tap menu icon until desired food icon appears, then the time and temperature will appear on the screen. To set the tint and temp manually, use the +/- icons.
5. Tap the power icon to begin the air frying process. Remember to shake the ingredients half way through the cooking time to ensure even cooking. To do this, slide our the pan/basket and shake it then slide back in. The timer pauses when the pan is out and resumes when you slide it back in.
6. When your selected cook time has elapsed, the timer bell will ring. Slide pan out and check food. If you are satisfied, put Pan on heat resistant surface and bring out food with a pair of tongs do not flip over pan or a the collection of oil at the bottom of pan will pour into your food.
If you want the food crispier, simply slide pan back in, set the timer for a few more minutes.
What can you cook in an Air fryer? Do I need one?
There are lots of recipes that can be made in an air fryer. Most recipes that are fried in a deep fryer or an oven can be made in this amazing appliance. See some examples below.
- Air fryer potatoes, fries, plantain chips
- Air fryer wings
- Air fryer hamburgers, bacon, meatloaf
- Air fryer boiled eggs
Needing one of this appliance depends on your needs and counter space. But let me share with you some of its benefits.
- It’s easy to use
- It’s easy to clean
- Cooks faster.
- Uses less oil to cook.
- Makes crispy foods crispier.
- Doesn’t heat up your house like an oven would which is a plus during summer or if you live in a warmer climate all year round.
What brand of air fryer should I buy? How much is an air fryer?
There are lots of great air fryers in the market today. Below is the one I use and love and others that have great reviews.
The cost of an air fryer would largely depend on the brand and the shop you buy it from. Generally speaking, an air fryer costs anything between $30 and $150.
There are few things I would looking out for when buying an air fryer.
- Size: Depending on your needs and if you have the space, I recommend getting a large air fryer like the 6 qt, a larger air fryer works better for my family’s needs. I can cook more at a time.
- Shape of the fryer pan/basket: I prefer air fryers with a more square shaped pan over the round ones because they tend to contain more especially when using a baking pan in it.
- Price: Expensive doesn’t always mean better. My air fryer was just below $100 about $99 but work’s perfectly and I love it. Work within your budget.
With these tips, go ahead and grab one of these amazing kitchen equipment listed below and start frying with air 😉 Cos ‘Air is the new oil’
- Gowise USA GW22731 5.8 qt
- Gowise USA GW22956 7 qt
- Phillips Air fryer 4 qt
Which of the recipes listed in this blog post would you be making first? The air fryer potatoes or the air fryer wings. Will be air fryer bacon? I am curious. Leave me a comment below￼.
Do you have any questions? Ask me by dropping me a comment. If you found this post helpful, I would be excited if you shared it with your family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.