Instant pot hot dogs is the easiest and fastest way to cook hot dogs for a crowd besides using your crockpot. The pressure cooker does this by boiling hot dogs under pressure. Whether from fresh or frozen, pressure cooker hot dogs would soon be your go to for entertaining because its ready to serve in less than 10 mins.
Instant Pot Hot dogs (Boiling Hot Dogs)
Boiling hot dogs is one of the methods used to cook hot dogs besides grilling or using your air fryer. This can either be done in your instant pot, on the stove top.
I love making instant pot hot dogs because of the convenience of the instant pot itself and the time it saves. If they aren’t frozen, I cook them in zero minutes (after the IP comes to pressure) and about 1 min when cooked from frozen.
Ingredients to make Instant Pot hot dogs
That would depend on what you like to add to your hot dogs. I like making my plain cause that’s what my kids like. Feel free to add some onion powder, chili etc.
For the liquid I use water. You can use beer or ½ beer, ½ water. It’s totally up to you
How long do you boil hot dogs in the Instant pot
The time it takes to boil hot dogs or cook them will depend on the method of cooking used.
If you are making these instant pot hot dogs, it takes zero minutes to cook hot dogs without a casing aka skinless hot dogs. You may want to add an extra minute when cooking hot dogs with casing.
Are you boiling your hot dogs on the stove top? No problem. Boiling hot dogs on the stove top can take anywhere from 5-6 minutes to get cooked. If cooking from frozen, cook for a minute or 2 longer.
How to boil hot dogs
*This is an over view of the recipe with step by step photos. Full recipe can be found at in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Pic 1-3; add hot dogs and water to inner pot of instant pot. Set timer and pressure cook
Pic 4-6; hogs dogs are ready, Serve and enjoy.
If you are boiling hot dogs on the stove top, bring water to a boil, then add the hot dogs and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add a minute or two if boiling frozen hot dogs.
Best way to cook hot dogs for a crowd.
The best way to cook hot dogs for a crowd is in your instant pot or crock pot (slow cooker) Depending on the size of Your instant pot you can fit up to 56 hot dogs standing in it. I have a 6 qt instant pot and it fits 49 hot dogs comfortably.
To make hot dogs for a crowd using an instant pot or pressure cooker, with the size of your instant pot in mind,
- Arrange the hot dogs in a standing position in the inner pot.
- Add 1 cup water to the inner pot, select manual pressure cook, set timer to zero minutes. Select 1 minute if cooking from frozen
- After the cooking cycle is complete, do a quick release and serve or leave in the instant pot with the warm setting on.
To cook hot dogs for a crowd using a slow cooker, follow the steps below also bearing the size of your crock pot / slow cooker in mind.
- Arrange hot dogs in standing position or lying position depending on how tall your slow cooker is or how best they fit. No need to add water when making hot dogs in the slow cooker.
- Slow cook on low for 4 hrs or in high for 2 hrs.
- When it’s cooked, leave in slow cooker to keep warm till ready to serve.
Others ways to cook Hot dogs
- On the outdoor grill
- Air fryer hot dogs: cooking hot dogs the air fryer is similar to grilling and takes about 6-8 mins
- Grilling in the stove top: this is like pan frying the hot dogs and takes only 5 - 6 mins. I like to use a grill pan with lines to give it those grill marks.
- In the microwave: pop hot dogs in the microwave and cover with paper towel microwave on high at 30 secs interval for up to a minute.
How to serve hot dogs
hot dogs can be served bun less or with a bun. there are a variety of toppings to be used on hot dogs. Ranging from mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce and relish.
Hot dogs can also be served with a side of salad or corn on the cob. Did you know there are other ways to cook corn on the cob besides boiling and grilling on the outdoor grill. Make sure to check my instant pot corn on the cob and air fryer corn on the cob recipes.
How to store
Un opened hot dogs can be frozen for up to six months. Open hot dogs shouldn’t stay more that 3 days in the fridge. Freeze them.
Left over hot dogs can stay in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze if keeping for longer.
Quick Recipe Notes and tips
- You can poke the hot dogs with a fork in multiple places or make some slits to prevent them from bursting open during cooking. The likelihood of bursting when making hot dogs in your pressure cooker is very low. But I poke them when making hot dogs in the air fryer and microwave.
- Feel free to swap out the water for beer or do a ½ and ½ mix of beer and water.
- When getting the hot dogs out of the instant pot, make sure to use kitchen tongs or Scissors tongs because the inner pot is hot and you can get hurt.
Don’t have an instant pot yet and want to buy one?
Check out my post ‘What is an Instant Pot and why you need one’
Buy any instant pot of your choice here. Don’t forget to use CUGURU10 at checkout to get 10% off your entire purchase.
Did you enjoy this recipe or found it helpful, please leave me a comment and share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite facebook group.
Instant Pot Hot Dogs (Boiling Hot Dogs)
- 6 qt Instant Pot
- Kitchen Tongs
- 7 pieces hot dog franks
- 1 cup water (water helps the Ip come to pressure)
- 1. Add hot dogs and water into the inner pot of the Instant Pot2. Select manual pressure cook, turn steam release handle to sealing position and set timer to zero minute3. When cooking cycle is complete, do a quick presure release.
- 4. Open pot only when float valve is down. Pick out hot dogs with kitchen tongs5. Serve
- If cooking hot dogs from frozen, set timer for 1 minute instead of zero minutes
- You may poke the hot dogs with a fork before adding it to the instant pot, if you are worried it will burst open though i havent had that experience when cooking hot dogs in the air fryer.
- The time won't change even if you are making a large batch of hot dogs
- See blog post for more tips and tricks.