You want a moist, succulent evenly seasoned chicken and you don't have the time to marinate with spices and yoghurt, try this recipe.
The chicken is so tender and moist and overtly deicious. Honestly it's a must try.
I learnt this recipe from one of my aunties, she in turn learned it from her hubby( my in law)
In fact when I watched him make it, his method was filled with style and technique hmmmm. No offense auntie. But Uncle beat you to it with this one.
The secret to this recipe is using lots of onions and no water except the little used to blend the pepper and onions.
The chicken cooks in its own juice and water extracted from the onions as it cooks until all the water is gone and the onion caramelizes.
At this point you can either enjoy it in its caramelized onion sauce or you roast it.
You can even do both, Half kept as is, the other half roasted. It's entirely up to you.
Let's get started.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 55 mins
Roast Time : 1 hr at 350*F (optional)
- 4 hard fowls cut up
- 4 large onions (preferably the red onions)
- 2-3 habanero peppers ( you decide how hot you want it to be.)
- Salt or bouillon powder to taste.
- Wash chicken and allow to drain excess water then pay dry and put in the pot
- Blend onions and pepper.*
- Pour the blended pepper and onions into the chicken and place on the lit stove
- Add salt or bouillon powder
- Allow the chicken cook. It may seem dry but give it time some stock will bubble up from chicken and the onions.
- As chicken cooks taste for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Let the chicken cook in the juice until it reduces completely and you have thick caramelized onion sauce.
- The chicken is ready. Enjoy in whatever way you deem fit. Yum!! Isn't it sooo moist and delicious.
Here's a tip to blending this onion pepper mix with as Little water as possible.
- Chop the some of the onions into smaller chunks. These smaller chunks will be at the base of the blender to make it easier to blend.
- Try to blend it without water when the onions is crushed, it will form a base for you to blend the rest of the onions and pepper.
- If you don't succeed this way, add about ¼ cup of water to blend the base onions then add the rest.
When the stock comes up while cooking the chicken watch closely as it cooks you will be the judge to know if the water that comes up is likely to cook the chicken if you don't think so add some water a little at the time. Don't flood.
If you are using the soft chicken;
- Your cook time will reduce.
- Don't add water at all and keep a very close eye so it doesn't get too soft.
- When cooked remove immediately from the pot. If the onion sauce hasn't caramelized properly, put the chicken in a roast pan pour in some of the sauce from the pot and put it in the oven at 350* F for 1 hr. Or until it browns to your taste.
- Do not cover the pan while roasting. You can click here to see another method I use when I make this recipe with soft chicken.
If you have time your hands, you can bake at 250*F and allow the chicken bake at a slower temperature. It will take just a little longer.
I have a similar recipe here which I kicked up a notch with apple juice. Give it a try it's absolutely delicious and bursting with flavor- a mix of sweet and spicy....YUM!!! I would say. Enjoy ?
Your feedback is appreciated. If you do give it a try, kindly rate it and share with your friends. We always love to hear from you so give us a shout out as well.
Send your pictures or post it on Instagram and tag us @mydiaporakitchen with the hashtag #mydiasporakitchen.
Have you subscribed yet? Please do, to get latest awesome deliciousness straight to your inbox?
Thanks for stopping by. Stay well.
This looks delicious! I am excited to try! One question, I am confused about your recommendation to use 'hard' chicken. I can only get whole chicken from our regular grocery store. How should I cook it if it is not truly 'hard'? Thanks!
Nice to have here. Here are a few tips to help.
Cut the chicken in smaller sizes it helps to cook faster.
Wash the chicken, let it stand in a colander for about 5 mins to drain out excess water from washing.
After the 5 mins, pat dry with paper towel. These steps will ensure that at least a good amount of water would have drained.
Chop the onions finely to enable you blend it with no water. (Very little water if you must to the blender.) but Remember our aim here is to get the onion caramelized. With the grocery store chicken we have to pay close attention because it can easily get over cooked and break up to pieces hence the need for less water because the onions will eventually bring out water during the cooking process.
Put the chicken in the pot and add the blended onions and pepper start cooking.
Start checking for 'doneness' from 30 mins. You just got to keep a close eye on this one ?
Hope this helps.
Thanks for stopping by. Would like to know how it went.