When I say this is an insanely delicious vegetable yam porridge, you have got to trust me on this one. Now is it porridge or pottage? that I cannot answer?. I grew up calling dishes made this way porridge so I will like to stick to that. I have tried to find out the meaning of both to be able to differentiate, but I have got myself even more confused than ever. I decided to stick to what my childhood memories tell me, which is porridge. Feel free to call it pottage.
In a hurry? Click here to jump to recipe! OR Click here to Print!
<<<<<<< ntioned in my previous post on yam porridge, this was one of the first dishes I perfected in as a 9 year old. This recipe is basically the same thing but with addition of green vegetables. My point for making this post is to give you a visual feel of this recipe and for the love of variety.
<<<<<<< back story here. Yesterday my kiddos resumed and I promised to do the happy dance. I actually did a little of my happy dance but in the Next few minutes we were missing them so much (my 2 yr old and I) we couldn't wait to go get them. Guess what? That's life.... we should love, enjoy and cherish every moment spent with loved ones. They sure did drive me crazy this summer but secretly I loved every bit of it and l wouldn't change a thing. I am grateful.❤️
it's time we get to the kitchen to start making this delicious dish a reality. Pottage? Or Porridge?? You tell me. Have you got your free eCookbook yet, grab your copy here. It's FriYay so you can make any dish you wish from the book. Have a blessed weekend.
Delicious vegetable yam porridge
- 10 /11 in tuber of yam washed and cut into chunky size cubes
- ¼ cup coarsely ground crayfish
- 2 medium onions chopped and divided
- 1 smoked fish washed and deboned optional
- 2 medium bell peppers coarsely blended
- 1 habenero pepper blended with the red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- ¾ cup palm oil
- Salt or 2 bouillon cubes to taste
- 12 oz kale or vegetable of choice chopped
- In a 6 quart stock pot put the yam chunks, add water to just about an inch below the level of the yam in the pot.
- Add in ½ of the chopped onions, crayfish, bouillon cube and bring to boil.
- In a medium saucepan, pour in the palm and heat up, then put in the other ½ of the chopped onions, sauté till transluscent, then pour in the coarsely blended bell pepper and habenero pepper mix. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the moisture evaporates.
- Turn off heat and wait for the yam to cook
- When the yam is soft and cooked, pour in the sauce you made stir in an Allow to simmer for another minute.
- Add in the chopped vegetables, stir in and turn off heat.
- Cover pot to allow the vegetables cook in the residual heat.
- Serve warm and enjoy
PIN FOR LATER< img class="alignnone wp-image-964 size-large" src="https://www.mydiasporakitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/PicMonkey-Image-2-341x1024.png" alt="vegetable yam porridge" width="341" height="1024"><<gt;<>
Thanks Zuwaira! 😊
Thanks dear ?