Kale Jollof Spaghetti what?? Yep!! This Kale Jollof Spaghetti is yumminess redefined. A blend of Jollof Spaghetti goodness and some Kale. This is one 'hot one pot recipe' to try.
Have you tried my Jollof Spaghetti recipe yet? If you haven't well what do I say? What are you waiting for?? If you have then you will understand why this one has a different flavor profile.
The Jollof Spaghetti is perfect but this Kale Jollof Spaghetti is perfetto lol. I had to find the Italian translation of the word perfect because that's what this is all about. Perfection in my best Italian accent.
Why I am sharing a Jollof Spaghetti with one already in the blog?
- Well this Kale Jollof Spaghetti is with a little twist which makes it different from the other one.
- Secondly one of the main focus of my diaspora kitchen besides trying to cook my beloved Nigerian meals with ingredients and substitutes found in diaspora, I also want to help you create a variety in meals that will keep your family excited and guessing what's for dinner, like would it be Party style Jollof or oven cooked Jollof with mixed veggies. Will it be blender moi moi today or moi moi pizza? Will it be Spaghetti and meatballs today or will it be mommy's one pot creamy spaghetti. Will it be Okro vegetable soup or Easy Nigerian Okro Soup.
- Variety they say is the spice of life so there you go.
Now that we know why this Kale Jollof Spaghetti is being introduced to our menu, let's talk a bit more on how delicious it is. The addition of the green vegetables in this recipe sums it up. It a nice way to sneak in green veggies into meals for the kiddos. They won't even notice lol. Trust me the hubs and kiddos enjoyed it and so did my momma. Did I tell you my sweet momma is visiting? Well I just did ?.
Like I said you can use any green veggie of choice if spinach is your family favorite then use it. I decided to use meatballs in this recipe, you can skip that if you don't have meatballs at home and use any protein you have available you can even make it vegetarian by using tofu or any vegan meat substitute. Just get creative with it. You can make some homemade meat balls too.
Hope you get to try this recipe and if you do I would love to hear all about it. Kindly rate it and drop your comments below. Thank you.
PS: I would love to see your food photos so don't be shy. You can take a picture of any recipe you make from the blog and tag @mydiasporakitchen and hashtag it with #mydiasporakitchen that way I can see it.
Kale Jollof Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 1 lb Pasta of choice (I used Spaghetti)
- 4 - 6 oz (8-12 Tbsp) organic tomato paste (see recipe note 1 )
- 1 medium onion
- ½ medium red bell pepper chopped
- ½ medium green bell pepper chopped
- 130 g Kale vegetable chopped
- 25 Meatballs
- ¼ cup cooking oil of choice (except palm oil)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ tablespoon ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground dry pepper
- 1 tablespoon bouillon powder
Prepare the sauce
- Heat up oil and sauté onions for about a minute.
- Add the tomato paste and allow fry till the paste dries out but not burnt. Takes about a minute of constant stirring. Alternatively you can dilute the paste with about a quarter cup of water and fry till all the moisture is absorbed.
- Stir in bay leaf and spices, add 1 cup of water to the mix and then add meatballs.
- Allow to simmer for a minute just to blend in flavors. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Add the chopped green peppers and red bell peppers. Stir to incorporate.
- Turn off heat, add the chopped kale and stir. Allow residual heat to soften the kale.
- Set aside. and prepare the pasta.
- Bring about 4 quarts (16 cups) of water to boil.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of salt to the water.
- Add the pasta into the boiling water and allow cook for 8 minutes I like mine al dente ( not soft ) if you like your pasta a little softer, then cook for about 10-12 mins
- Turn off heat and drain the pasta with a colander reserving about ½ a cup of pasta water.
- Transfer pasta back to pot. Add the the sauce and mix thoroughly. You may or may not need the the pasta water to add to the moisture of the Jollof.
- Serve and Enjoy