As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Believe me this is the best Nigerian coconut rice recipe you will ever need. And guess what? it is an oven cooked version too. Yesterday was my son’s birthday. Usually as the children’s birthdays approach they always have the dishes and the type of cake they want.
Hmmm… mummy please can I have a spider man cake? Mummy can I have a Sophia the first cake and the list goes on… Mom I want ice-cream too or mom can we make jollof rice and chicken…. mind you these requests change as the date draws near.
I take delight in listening to all these requests and I take delight in trying my best to make it happen.
My soon to be 11 yr old or should I say my 11 yr old ( because he turned 11 yesterday) requested for coconut fried rice. Because I love cooking I try to give them a variety of meals and because I give variety sometimes some dishes come far in between. This dish is one of them.
Another reason for this craving for coconut fried rice is because I have been following a low carb lifestyle for a while now and recently have decided to include my entire family. Haven’t had much success but little changes at time has helped. For instance rice is eaten once a week if I can help it.
[bctt tweet=”Cooking coconut fried rice in the oven makes your life easier believe me” username=”mydiasporakitch”]
This recipe is so easy that you would want to make it often. It was stress free stress free and freaking delicious. All the flavors blended in so well.
I used Basmati Rice to make this recipe but you can use any long grain parboiled rice of your choice. Parboiled rice usually work better for Nigerian rice recipes.
Hope you enjoyed this post and that you get to try this oven cooked coconut rice recipe. I really hope you would because you would love it.
Nigerian Oven cooked Coconut Fried Rice
- 5 cups Basmati Rice washed and drained
- 6 cups Chicken stock
- 2 (400ml) cans coconut milk
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3/4 cup cooking oil
- 2 lbs frozen mixed vegetables thawed and patted dry with paper towel
- 1/2 medium cabbage sliced
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 -2 habanero pepper finely chopped
- 8 franks hotdogs chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp tumeric powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a roast pan, add the washed and drained Basmati rice. Mix in the coconut milk and chicken stock. Stir and taste for seasoning. Adjust as needed. The liquid should be 2 inches above the settled rice.
- Cover pan tightly with aluminium foil, then put on the lower rack of the oven.
- Heat up oil in a sauce pan, then sauté onions and garlic till onions is translucent.
- Add the chopped hotdogs or (chopped cooked liver) stir fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add mixed veggies to the mix and stir fry on medium low heat until the remaining moisture from the frozen veggies evaporates. This takes about 8 minutes. I recommend a non stick saucepan for this.
- Add the chopped cabbage and green pepper. Stir, taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Check rice for doneness. Rice is done when all liquid is absorbed and the rice is soft but not mushy.
- Bring out rice from oven and fluff out with a fork. Then mix in the stir fried veggies.
- Allow to rest for about a minute then serve.