Moi moi is a delicious steamed puréed bean dish usually found in West African cuisine. It is also referred to as bean cake or bean pudding. Making moi moi with beans flour makes your life easier since you get to skip the bean skin removal stage in the moi moi making processes. You will still need to use the blender to add the other ingredients needed to make this delicious side dish.
I enjoy making moi moi with beans flour because it is hassle free, simply dump the beans flour and other ingredients into the blender, blend till smooth, then you add more ingredients in a bowl mix, then steam on the stove top or bake in the oven. This mouth watering goodness will delight your tastebuds and the best part is it's soo easy to make.
Traditionally moi moi is made from peeled and puréed fresh beans. There is another kind of steamed puréed bean dish made in some parts of Nigeria called Apapa which is made from unpeeled puréed beans.
I think the invention of beans flour is a smart move. Makes your life easier by saving you time. Moi moi is ready in no time really when made with beans flour. Sometimes I like to refer to this method of making moi moi as blender moi moi. As the name implies is easy and stress free. All you need is a blender, bean flour and other moi moi ingredients which I will be sharing further down the post. Blend-Mix -Cook!
Usually, I make moi moi the traditional way with fresh puréed beans like I did with the Moi moi pizza recipe. But Occasionally I use bean flour which is what actually makes this recipe stress free.
I remember the very first time I made moi moi with bean flour, it was a disaster. It came out almost as hard as a rock. Well seasoned but it wasn't moi moi as you and I know it ( soft and succulent ) Nope it was too dense and you would have needed a bucket of water to swallow a small portion. Ok don't mind me I am exergerating but seriously it was too dense.
After the unappetizing experience I sought the opinion of some of my friends who make moi moi with beans flour and they told me where I went wrong. Armed with those tips I decided to try again and this time it was a success. And I have tried it again and again with success. I know someone out there will be in my shoes someday and need an easy recipe to make moi moi with beans flour so here it is. Loaded with tips and tricks.
I decided that my first moi moi post would be moi moi made with beans flour to encourage first timers to give it a shot since some people find peeling beans a daunting task.
Table of Contents
- 1 What kind of Beans Flour can I use to make moi moi?
- 2 How to make moi moi with beans flour.
- 3 What kind of molds can I use to make moi moi?
- 4 Can moi moi be made vegan?
- 5 What Can I eat with moi moi?
- 6 ★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? AWESOME! PLEASE RATE IT BY CLICKING THE STARS ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ BELOW!
- 7 Easy stress free blender bean cake (moi moi )
What kind of Beans Flour can I use to make moi moi?
Beans Flour made from black eyed peas or African honey (brown) beans is the preferred choice for moi moi.
How to make moi moi with beans flour.
Now the secret to making moi moi with bean flour is the amount of liquid you put in it. The consistency of the batter should be more watery than the one made with fresh bean purée. Here is why, remember puréed beans made from the fresh beans has soaked and absorbed liquid whereas the one from bean flour is dehydrated, so it lacks moisture.
Try this moi moi recipe anytime you want to make moi moi with beans flour and you would definitively enjoy the process.
Various add ins to make your moi moi delicious. You can add a combination of 2 or 3 of these add ins
- Corned beef ( this is the brand I grew up with and I love it )
- Dried fish
- Canned Sardines or Tuna
- Chicken flakes
What kind of molds can I use to make moi moi?
You can use fresh uma leaves or banana leaves to wrap your moi moi. If that's not available, ramekins, mini foil loaf pans, homemade pouches from foil or cleaned out juice pouches. If you would rather not go through any of that hassle pick up this already made moi moi pouch online. They are super easy to use. It's marked as reusable but I don't reuse mine. I throw it out after each use.
Can moi moi be made vegan?
Definitely. Simply swap all the animal products in this recipe with vegan friendly products.
What Can I eat with moi moi?
Did you enjoy this recipe tutorial? Your feedbacks are always welcome. Comment below and Share with friends and family and in your favorite Facebook group. Don't want to miss a recipe? Sign up here.
PIN! PIN! PIN!
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? AWESOME! PLEASE RATE IT BY CLICKING THE STARS ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ BELOW!
Easy stress free blender bean cake (moi moi )
- 1 cup Bean flour
- 4 large Eggs 3 hard boiled, 1 raw
- 2 medium Red bell
- 1 can tuna fish or 4 tablespoon ground crayfish
- 1 habanero pepper more if you want it hotter
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon bouillon powder taste and adjust according before cooking
- 1 small onion
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- Put everything in a blender (except the boiled eggs) and blend until well combined. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Pour into 4 greased 8oz ramekins or any container you choose.
- Top with sliced boiled eggs. cover with foil
- Steam in a pot with water about 2 inches high. Note: The water is to steam so make are the the containers don't get submerged in water. Remember to check if the water is drying out while cooking so you can top up.
- Cook till the moi moi sets and becomes firm. Takes about 35 - 40 mins. Check it by sticking a knife in it should come out clean but not necessarily as it would for a cake
- Turn off heat. Allow to cool a bit and set further.