As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Learn to make a handy homemade pancake mix with this easy to follow recipe made from regular pantry ingredients. Simply whip up a batch of this easy pancake mix and store in an air tight jar and your favorite breakfast is just a scoop away.
Homemade Pancake Mix
Who loves pancakes? Mee!! Those delicious hot cakes served for breakfast dripping with maple syrup and topped with fruits. I know you know what I am talking about.
Pancakes are easy to make, this homemade pancake mix makes it even easier to whip up a batch of your favorite breakfast staple with just a scoop or two of this dry mix and it’s accompanying wet ingredients.
What’s in a Pancake Mix (Ingredients)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Powdered milk (optional, if you use this, there would be no need to add liquid milk when mixing the batter for pancakes)
How to make Homemade Pancake mix (Pancake flour)
This is so overview of the recipe with step by step photos, full recipe instructions can be found in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Pic 1-3; Add sugar, baking soda, baking powder to the flour
Pic 4-6; Add salt, whisk to combine use the quantity needed and store the rest. (See pancake mix chart for guidance)
How to make pancakes from a mix
This is the easiest and stress free pancake situation you will ever be in. All you need to make pancake from a mix is to add the wet ingredients which include butter or oil, eggs, milk or just water ( if you included powdered milk in pancake mix, you should use water not milk.)
Pic 1-3; Add eggs, melted butter and buttermilk to pancake mix. Mix to combine.
Pic 4-6; Let batter rest for about 5 minutes then pour pancake batter by 1/4 cup full into greased griddle. Flip when bubbles begin to show.
How to make fluffy pancakes
Fluffy pancakes requires fresh ingredients and the addition of buttermilk to pancakes takes the fluffiness to another level.
To make fluffy pancakes, you need to start with fresh ingredients and to have fresh ingredients you need to store your homemade pancake mix in an air tight container.
When you are ready to make some fluffy pancakes, add some the wet ingredients you your pancake mix. ( buttermilk is one of the ingredients that make fluffy pancakes.) if you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own homemade buttermilk substitute with milk and vinegar or milk and lemon juice.
Wait a minute! Let me show you how to make buttermilk at home with milk and vinegar or lemon juice.
How to make buttermilk with milk and vinegar or lemon juice
Making a quick buttermilk substitute will make your life easier. Buttermilk is like fresh milk and has a limited shelf life. It’s more economical to make your own buttermilk from milk.
The good news is that you can make buttermilk with any milk fresh or dry milk including non dairy milk like almond milk or soy milk.
All you need to make buttermilk substitute is a cup of milk and a tablespoon of lemon or distilled white vinegar. Follow the steps below and make a great and affordable buttermilk substitute to use in any recipe that calls for buttermilk.
- Add a Tbsp of lemon juice or distilled white vinegar to a cup that is at least 1 cup measure.
- Fill the cup containing the vinegar/ lemon juice with milk till it gets to that one cup mark.
- Let it stand for about a minute. It will be cuddled.
- Stir to combine, use immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is pancake mix vegan or dairy free? Home made pancake mix can be adapted to suit your needs. This pancake mix is vegan if you you skip the optional dry milk powder.
- How long can this pancake mix last? Pancake mixes can last up to 3 months in an air tight container.
- Can I make waffles with pancake mix? Yes you can but you can also use my waffles mix.
Pancake recipes to try with homemade Pancake Mix (Pancake flour.)
- Classic buttermilk pancakes: Light fluffy pancakes that area delight for breakfast.
- Lemon Blueberry Pancakes: These summery breakfast pancakes with its sweet and tangy lemony taste can easily become your favorite.
- Bacon Pancakes: Love sweet and savory, these pancakes will win you over. Try them and see what they do to your taste buds.
- Pumpkin Spice Pancakes: Hello fall! Hello Pumpkin spice. All I can say is give this recipe a try.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Drop me a comment. Please share with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group, so others can enjoy it too.
PS: Enjoyed this Recipe? Share it so others can enjoy it too. Thank you 😊
Click here to pin this pancake flour recipe for later.
- Mixing bowl
- A 48 or 56 oz storage jar
- 6 cups flour
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup of powdered milk optional
- 3 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Measure out all ingredients into a clean mixing bowl
- Whisk all ingredients till combined.
- Scoop into the storage jar cover tightly and store for up to 3 months in a cool dry place.
To make pancakes
- 1 cup of pancake mix
- 3/4 cup milk (use water if you opted to use powdered milk in your pancake mix)
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar (optional)
- 1 egg
- Mix all ingredients together and cook your pancakes on a lightly greased griddle.
- See post to download my pancake mix cheat sheet.
- 1 cup of mix will yield 6 five inch pancakes.
- If using milk powder in your pancake mix, you won’t need to use liquid milk when making pancakes. Use water.