As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Plantain Frittata is a delicious breakfast of plantain and eggs cooked slightly different. It’s so easy to make yet so tasty. My perfect Sunday morning breakfast.
Looking for a great way to step up your breakfast game? Or you are tired of your regular way of making your favorite plantain and eggs breakfast?
This Baked Plantain Frittata Recipe will definitely make the cut. Loaded with veggies and sausages, this easy and filling breakfast would easily become a household favorite.
What is Plantain Frittata?
Frittata is an egg based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche which is usually enriched with additional ingredients like meats and vegetables.
Borrowed from the Italian dish described, Plantain Frittata is a Plantain and egg dish which is made by cooking fried plantains, eggs, veggies and meats together in a baking dish as a casserole in the oven or cooked slowly on the stove top.
How to make it.
Like the title of the post indicates, Plantain Frittata can be made in two ways. One the stove top and the other method in the oven. Both methods take about 30 mins to cook and is super easy.
I prefer to make sauté my onions, colored bell peppers meats before mixing in the eggs, that way the flavor is developed before baking.
Optional add ins
- Crumbled bacon
- Hot dogs
How to make Plantain frittata in the oven
- Fry plantain and set aside.
- Sauté you onions, veggies and sausages set aside to cool.
- Mix veggies and beaten eggs. Pour into into a greased cast iron skillet or baking dish.
- Arrange fried plantain on over the egg mix.
- Bake and enjoy.
How to make Nigerian Plantain Frittata on the stove.
Follow the steps above and cook on the stove top instead of the oven
See recipe card below for full details.
You need a little oil to make Plantain frittata. Either you sauté the onions, veggies etc in about a tablespoon of oil or if you use more, drain off the excess oil before mixing into the eggs and frying /baking. If you forget to do that or find that you have some oil floating at the top of your plantain frittata after frying/baking, simply drain then lightly dab it off with a clean kitchen paper towel.
FAQs on this Recipe
Q. What kind of plantains can I use?
A. This recipe is best made with ripe plantains not over ripe plantains and definitely not green plantains
Q. Can Plantain frittata be made vegan?
A. Unfortunately no. Eggs are an integral part of this recipe.
Q. Can this recipe be made ahead?
A. Yes you can make it ahead and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Warm it up in the microwave before eating.
Q. Can I make Plantain frittata as muffins?
A. I don’t see why not.
Q. Can the plantains be baked instead of fried?
A. Definitely. All you need to is arrange chopped plantains in a a single layer on a baking sheet, spray some cooking spray and bake at 350 F till lightly golden about 15 – 20 mins.
Have more questions on this recipe? I would love to help. Drop me a comment and I will get back to you ASAP. I love hearing from you guys ❤️
Did you enjoy this recipe or found the post helpful. Kindly share this recipe with Family, Friends and in your favorite Facebook group.
Plantain Frittata | Two ways
- 3 ripe plantains
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 Tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- 8 Large eggs beaten
- 3 hotdog franks chopped
- 2 tsp crushed peppers flakes
- Salt/bouillon powder to taste
- Peel the skin of the plantains, then cut into rounds about 1/4 inch thick.
- Fry plantain till lightly golden brown and set aside
- In sauce pan, heat a tablespoon of oil. Sauté onions, garlic till fragrant and translucent. Add the the chopped red and green peppers and stir fry for about 1 minute.
- Season with with bouillon powder/salt. Then add the chopped sausages or hotdogs stir fry for another minute. Turn off heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, lightly grease the 10inch cast iron skillet or quiche dish.
- Mix the cooled stir fry mix into the beaten eggs. Stir to combine.
- Pour into the greased cast iron skillet.
- Bake in the Lower rack of the oven for 25-30 mins or until center firms up.
- Bring out from oven. Let cool for about 5 mins. Serve warm.
Stove Top Method:
- Lightly grease a 10 inch frying pan ( preferably non stick )
- Pour Mix into the frying pan or skillet
- Cover frying pan with a lid, cook on medium low heat for 30 mins or until the center firms up.