As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Fresh green plantains popularly called unripe plantains in Nigeria make an awesome African swallow meal.
Plantain Fufu/ Plantain Swallow
Plantain swallow/fufu a.k.a Amala ogede is a nice and popular lower carb alternative to eba swallow ( made from cassava flakes) or Amala isu ( made from yam flour).
I say lower carb alternative because plantain is quite starchy and is not exactly low carb. Besides it contains quite an amount of sugar.
Plantain swallow is a delight to eat when paired with any African soup of your choice. It is not as heavy as garri or pounded yam.
How to make Plantain fufu with fresh plantains
Plantain fufu is usually made with plantain flour (which is dried and milled plantains) Someone in a healthy eating group I belong to talked about making plantain swallow from fresh plantains. I liked the idea and decided to give it a try. With all these fillers we find in packaged foods who knows if the said plantain flours sold in stores is actually just plantains.
Making Plantain Swallow with fresh plantains is a lot easier than you think if you don’t mind washing an extra kitchen equipment; your blender.
All you need to do is cut up, blend and cook. see Pictorial guide below and make sure to watch the video as well.
Hopefully you would give this a try. if you do, i would to hear all about it.
Did you enjoy this post? Consider rating the recipe and dropping a comment below. Questions and suggestions welcome. Remember to invite your friends and family to our kitchen by sharing this post with them.
[amazon_link asins=’B01LZ6QN28,B00NGV4506,B0041HTDJM,B01APP1X2I’ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’chichiuguru-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ade8cd18-bcbf-11e7-be17-c721a9fa9b64′]
Fresh green Plantains swallow/ Plantain fufu
- 2 fingers unripe plantains peeled and cut up into cubes
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Put plantain cubes in the jar of the blender.
- Pour in the water and blend till smooth.
- Transfer to a non stick pot or pan and Start stirring with a wooden spoon on medium low heat.
- Stir continuously until it comes together ( this takes about 5 mins)
- Serve immediately with any soup of choice. Or You wrap in a cling film like I did in the picture and serve a minute later after a beautiful ball of plantain swallow is formed (aesthetics)