Efo riro is one of the popular vegetable soups in Nigerian. It ranks with the likes of Afang and Edikang ikong. While Efo riro is native to the Yorubas, Edikang ikong is native to the Efiks and Ibibios. Efo riro is a very delicious dish and if you haven't had it before, do try our recipe here and enjoy yourself. Haba you can't be missing such delicious awesomeness.?
<<<<<<<< untie Funmis ( I happen to have up to 3 of them) taught me to make this amazing dish. I will be sharing that recipe today with some modifications. Auntie Funmi's original recipe includes tomatoes but I have since ditched the tomatoes and it always turns out great. <<<<<< to tell you how often I make Efo riro . This dish is one of the staples in my home because It's so easy to make. Mind you there is a lot of traffic in this soup because it usually contains a lot of assorted meats and fish. The originators of this dish like it this way. So feel free to pick and choose the combination of chewables you want in your dish.? Note : Most recipes I share here are large recipes either because I am making it for my family or I am making it for an order.
You can always downsize it with the recipe printout section below at the end of the post.
The Ultimate Efo-riro Recipe
Prep Time: 20 mins Yield: 10 servings
Cook Time: 40 mins
- 1.5 kg Frozen Spinach ( bring out a day before to thaw and drain)
- 3 large red bell peppers ( 2½ )to be Coarsely blended, ½ to finely chopped)
- 2 medium size onion
- 3 Habenero peppers
- ¼ cup coarsely ground crayfish
- ¼ cup smoked prawns ( okporo)
- ¼ cup irun ( locust beans)
- Salt/bouillon powder to taste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1½ Cups Palm oil
Precooked assorted meats and fish which include but not limited to;
- 200g pomo ( cow skin )
- 100g stock fish
- 300g cow feet
- 400g smoked turkey and/ beef
- 200g shaki
- Squeeze out the liquid in the spinach with your hands and set aside.
- After washing, With a food processor coarsely blend 2½ red bell peppers, 1 Onion and the habenero peppers and set aside.*
- Finely chop 1 onion and ½ red bell pepper set aside in different plates
- Put a clean pot over a lit up stove, add the Palmoil.
- When it heats up pour in the chopped onions and then add the chopped cow skin (Pomo)
- Add the irun and continue to fry for about a minute
- Pour in the blended bell pepper mix stir and the meat stock then add the ground crayfish. Allow to cook with constant stirring to prevent burning.
- Cook until the stew reduces in size and the oil comes to the surface then it is ready. This takes about 25 - 30 mins. Now add the finely chopped red bell pepper.
- Add in the precooked assorted meats, fish and smoked prawns. Stir and taste for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
- Add your squeezed spinach and stir. Add about 1 cup of water or stock. Allow to simmer for a minute and turn off heat.
- Enjoy with any swallow of your choice or with white rice or even fried or boiled plantains. It's that versatile.
If you blend the peppers with a blender, to get the coarse texture needed, use the pulse button once or twice and don't blend for too long at each pulse.
If the Soup seems dry after adding the squeezed spinach, wait a bit to allow it simmer because spinach usually releases some water.
If after about a minute, it's still dry add a ½ cup to 1 cup of meat stock/ water. Be careful not to flood. Efo riro is actually supposed to be very thick with little water.