Bleached Palm oil is a unique tasting oil made by bleaching red palm oil for a few minutes till it looks somewhat like vegetable oil. Learning how to bleach Palm oil without smoking up your home is a needed skill if you are a fan of Ayamase stew, Ofada stew and many other delicious delicacies made with Bleached Palm oil.
Table of Contents
Bleaching Palm oil
Bleaching Palm oil? You may wonder if this is a necessary post. The first time I tried to bleach Palm oil, I nearly burnt down my house. That was back when I was living in Nigeria. It was my baby’s nanny that saved the day.
If she didn't walk in when she did, it would have been a different story. When I look back I can’t help but thank God for her. So you see, that is the reason this post is very necessary. Kindly bear with me.
[bctt tweet="If you want to bleach your palm oil for the first time, then you MUST read this." username="mydiasporakitch"]
My Bleached Palm Oil Story and How I learnt how to do it right.
I think that day I wanted to make ayamase stew ( green bell peppers stew) or some other thing for which I needed to bleach palm oil. I put the pot over the lit stove, poured in the palm oil and it started heating it up.
Within minutes the pot caught fire. I was shocked and confused. I screamed, turned the burner off and rushed towards the sink to get some water.
Just then my nanny walked in and screamed 'Aunty COVER the pot' and that was it. I covered the pot and that contained the flame as it eventually cooled off.
Needless to say my palm oil was burnt and my ayamase experiment was postponed to a later date but at least my family was safe from a fire disaster.
So please COVER your pot when you want to bleach palm oil Please and leave it covered till the oil cools down. Why go through all this just to bleach palm oil right?
Recipes that use Bleached Palm oil.
Bleaching Palm oil is optional but the reason it is done is because Bleached palm oil has a unique taste and lends that flavor to any dish.
To be honest, you can use it for pretty much any recipe that requires vegetable oil especially if you like it's distinctive taste.
Other uses of Bleached Palm oil.
Besides cooking, it is used in soap making but this is beyond the scope of this blog post.
Ingredients and tools needed
- Good quality Palm oil
- Stainless steel Pot (Preferably with a tight fitting see through lid)
- A storage container
How to bleach Palm oil without smoking up the house.
*This is an overview of this tutorial with step by step photos. Full tutorial can be found in the printable recipe card below. Make sure to watch the video as well for further guidance.
Pic 1-3; Pour Palm oil into a clean dry pot, cover pot, and turn on the heat.
Pic 4-6; after bleaching the oil, let it cool completely then transfer cooled oil into a clean dry container for storage.
How to store and for how long.
You can also store in a plastic bottle, provided it's completely cooled. Bleached Palm oil can be stored for up to 6 months in a cool dry place.
Quick Recipe notes and tips to keep you 'safe' during this process.
- Because palm oil has the tendency to smoke up the house and make you cough, bleach Palm oil in a well ventilated kitchen.
- Also make sure to bleach a substantial amount so you can store it for the next recipe that needs it. .
- Please COVER your pot while the Palm oil is cooking to prevent a fire hazard. If the lid of your pot has a steam vent, consider sealing it off with a bit of paper towel to prevent smoke from escaping while bleaching the oil (please watch video to see how i do it)
- Bleach for only 10 mins and turn off heat. The residual heat from the pot will continue to work on the oil till it cools completely.
- Leave the pot covered till the oil cools down completely. Depending on the quantity, it takes up to 20 mins for the oil to cool down completely.
Do you have additional tips to help everyone? Please share in the comments below. Thank you for being awesome
How to bleach palm oil
- 2 cups fresh palm oil
- 1.Pour Palm oil in a clean and dry sauce pan, 2. Cover sauce pan with lid,3. Turn on the stove and cook palm oil in the covered pot for 10 minutes. DO NOT OPEN POT.
- 4. Turn off heat after 10 mins. LEAVE POT CLOSED till oil cools down completely which takes about 25 to 30 mins 5. Use immediately or pour into a clean dry jar6. store in a cool dry place for later.