This 5-ingredient onion rice recipe would amaze your tastebuds. An easy recipe is what we all need at a time like this. Get lunch or dinner ready in no time with a few pantry ingredients that you probably have. No need to run to the store. Read along and find out how to make this easy 5 ingredient onion rice with step by step photos
Onion Rice Recipe, What is onion rice?
Onion rice is one of the easiest Jollof style rice you can make. It is called onion rice because onions is the major and most important flavor enhancer in this recipe.
Onion rice is made with caramelize onions and is easily adaptable to your taste buds. Flavors of this Easy rice recipe vary depending on the oil used.
When palm oil is used to make this rice dish, it simulates the taste of our ever so popular Iwuk Edesi aka native rice but without the bells and whistles.
When vegetable oil is used it has a different taste likened to an easy fried rice recipe. And if you are looking for some coconutty goodness, make this recipe with coconut oil.
- Cooked rice
- Salt or bouillon powder
- Palm oil or Coconut oil or Canola oil
- Pepper flakes
How to make 5 Ingredient Onion rice
This is just an over view of the recipe with step by step photos, full recipe instructions can be found at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Pic 1-3; Sauté onions in oil then add pepper flakes
Pic 4-6; add salt or bouillon powder and cook
Pic 5-9; When sauce is ready, gently fold in rice cook until rice is warmed through.
How to serve Onion rice
Serve this deliciousness with whatever side you like. Salad and meats will work perfectly. My Cobb salad recipe, Cucumber salad or my Easy salad recipe will be a good combination.
Love the meats, try serving with my
- barbecue chicken drumsticks,
- Lemon glazed Chicken thighs,
- Pan seared Pork chops,
- Peppered fried fish
Quick Recipe notes and tips
- Onion rice recipe is best made with cooked rice. Follow the instructions in this post on how to cook white rice without a rice cooker or how to cook the perfect basmati rice (if you are making this onion rice with basmati rice.)
- When making this recipe with Palm oil, let the onions and pepper crisp up a little but boy burnt. For other oils, the caramelized stage is fine.
- You can either use bleached palm oil for this or unbleached palm oil. Both work perfectly.
- Chopped fresh peppers will also work well in this recipe.
Other rice dishes you might enjoy
- Ham fried rice: This rice recipe is a delight and spoon is full of meaty goodness.
- Jollof Beans and rice: A favorite mix of the best of two worlds. Jollof rice and beans mixed to perfection.
- Coconut rice: An all time favorite rice dish with intense coconut flavors.
This is one of hubby’s favorite ways to eat left over rice which started from this african sauce. If you found it helpful, drop me a comment, I wit if love to hear from you. Remember to share with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group, so others can enjoy it too.
5-Ingredient Onion Rice.
- 1 large onion chopped
- ¼ cup Palm oil
- 1 teaspoon bouillon powder or to taste
- 1 Tbsp pepper flakes use more or less depending on your spice tolerance level
- 5 cups Cooked rice (about 2 cups of raw rice)
- Sauté onions in Palm oil, add bouillon powder and pepper flakes.
- Cook till onions is caramelized and just begins to crisp. Not burnt. Takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice and turn off heat. Cover pot and let the heat warm rubs through.
- Serve warm