Jollof rice and beans can be a very tricky dish to make. Unlike our good old jollof rice, it is not a favorite to many. Don't despair yet, it can really be delicious if made properly. I would be sharing the two ways I make jollof rice and beans. That way you can decide which method you prefer.
[bctt tweet="The Jollof Rice and Beans Recipe even your little ones would love" username="mydiaspokitch"]
Growing up, I wasn't a big fan of jollof rice and beans so I can understand how many people are indifferent towards it. I actually prefer Rice and beans cooked separately and devoured with stew ?. But Since this blog is all about showcasing African food with a partial focus on Nigerian food who am I not to present this dish that is a staple in most homes in Nigeria.
My policy is to try and find ways to make food delicious so if you are not a fan of a particular dish, please don't give up until you try my version ???
The two methods for making this dish I would share with you today is different from the method I grew up with. When it comes to cooking everyone develops their own style and as life progresses armed with keen interest and practice, you can become an excellent cook even if you didn't start out as one. Method one is more like a stewed version similar to jollof rice, while Method two is similar to the way I make my beans porridge. Here is the way I learnt to cook it while growing up, you start with the bean, cook with onions and seasoning till it's almost done then add the rice and palm oil and let the rice cook in the beans. It tasted nice then but it still wasn't my favorite. Because it could be a hit and miss.. lol Sometimes the rice would be too soggy or the beans would be too soggy too.
[bctt tweet="Here are two easy ways to step up your jollof rice and beans game. It totally makes the difference" username="mydiaspokitch"]
Like I said if you are passionate about cooking, with practice you can develop your own style. Because al dente is my thing, I don't like mushy jollof rice and beans.
Cooking it either way I find keeps the rice and beans intact and doesn't compromise flavour. In fact I would say it is rich in flavor because the seasoning comes in at the end. Just try and see. But please do tell...
Jollof rice and beans still isn't my favorite to date but I enjoy it any time I make it. What is the joy of food if you don't enjoy it and wish it doesn't finish while you are eating it hahaha?
The two recipes would be below. Enjoy.
PIN FOR LATER
Jollof Rice and Beans.
- 1-¼ Cup Black eyed peas or honey beans ( dirt removed, washed and drained)
- 1 Cup parboiled long grain rice (washed and drained)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 small tomatoes
- 2 medium onions ( red one recommended)
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup cooking oil (not palm oil)
- salt or bouillon to taste
- Place beans in a pot, add 8 cups of water and begin to cook. When beans has cooked for about 30 mins, add half of the chopped onions into the beans, then add bouillon powder to taste.
- Begin to cook rice in a separate pot. Cook till its done. Don't cook till it becomes mushy. it needs to be Al dente
- Blend bell pepper, tomatoes, habanero pepper and one onion and set aside
- In a saucepan heat up oil, stir in the remainder of chopped onions. Stir until softened and translucent.
- Pour in the blended pepper mix, cook till reduced in size. Takes about 45 mins. Turn off heat while you wait for the beans to get cooked
- When the beans is ready, mix the sauce, rice and beans together.
- Add in about a ¼ cup of water stir in, taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Place pot over medium low heat and allow to simmer for about 2 minutes. then stir and turn off heat.Serve warm
Product of method 1
- This how this method looks
Product of method 2
- This is how this looks
Made this for dinner.. And my siblings are asking for more.. Nne thank you.. You just changed my little ones' opinion about beans
You are welcome Wendy!
I am on a mission to change the opinion people especially kids have about beans! Nne, Thank you for your feedback.
please can you do this recipe again using palm oil and smoked fish
Yes you can do that. It will be delicious. Enjoy
I m so gonna try it
That’s awesome Cora! Let me know how it goes!
i am salivating now,its look nice,i will try this recipe
Please do. Let me know how it went 😊 and stay safe.
I can't wait to try mine.....
That’s Awesome! Let me know how it went or leave me a comment if you have any questions. Stay safe!
I've never had Nigerian food before, but I'm thinking this rice and beans recipe is the perfect introduction. Yum!
Yum yum. ?? thanks Rae. You should give it a try