African salad also known as Abacha is a very popular Nigerian delicacy originating from eastern Nigeria. This African salad recipe is made with just a few ingredients which in include shredded cassava, some traditional spices like calabash nutmeg and is served with one of the best unique salad dressings you will ever try. Curious to know what this dressing is? Read along and find out how to make this delicious african delight in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Table of Contents
African Salad Recipe
If you are not Nigerian and you hear African Salad your first thoughts may go to the traditional vegetable salads of greens and other condiments popular in the western world with maybe an African twist right?
Nope! Far from it, African Salad is a delightful delicacy from Eastern Nigeria that has spread across most of Nigeria. It is so easy to make and is made from simple ingredients which include Thinly sliced, sun dried fermented cassava abacha which is the center of this dish. Then the add ons are the things that top off this dish. Ranging from roasted/fried beef , fried fish, small garden eggs, and Ugba to mention a few.
African Salad dressing or sauce.
How to make African Salad (Abacha)
Abacha is an easy no cook delicacy made in Nigeria. All you need is palmoil, potash/baking soda or ashes and some spices to make the sauce. Then you mix it with the abacha. You can make abacha stand alone but most times it is combined with some Ugba.
Process Shots to show you the steps to making African salad.
How to serve Abacha or African Salad.
Abacha is usually served with a mix of vegetables and meats
- Sliced Utazi leaves
- Garden eggs
- Cucumber slices
Meats ( a mix of all or just one variety is fine )
This is a delicious Eastern Nigerian recipe to try. You would love it.
Other Traditional Recipes to try.
- Ugba salad
Love myDiasporaKitchen Recipes? Share this post with family and friends. Then Sign up for our free newsletter so you are the first to know when new recipes are posted. Thanks for supporting mydiasporakitchen.com
Abacha Aka African salad
Ingredients: ( measurements are estimates) use your discretion
•About 250 g Abacha
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda
•1 teaspoon Ground Ehuru ( calabash nutmeg)
• ½ tablespoon Chicken Bouillon ( I usually skip salt if I use seasoning)
•1 teaspoon Ground Cameroon pepper
• 2 - 4 tablespoon Crayfish
• aDry fish, dried prawns or fried Titus ( optional) I used fried meat
• Cooked Pomo ( cow skin) ( Optional)
• 1 Onion sliced into thin rings
• Utazi leaves sliced
• garden eggs ( I used cucumbers)
1. Pick out the dirt from the dry abacha, then soak for about 3 mins in hot water to soften it. Drain and set aside
Making the Sauce
• Mix baking soda with 1 teaspoon of water
• Pour the water mix into the palmoil and mix till Oil thickens.
• Add crayfish, bouillon powder, ground calabash nutmeg and Cameroon pepper. Taste and adjust as needed
Mixing it all up
• Mix the sauce with the ugba and drained abacha. Taste again and adjust for salt/ bouillon as needed
• Add the Cooked pomo and dry prawns (if using)
• Dish into plates, add the fried meats or fish. Garnish with onion rings and sliced Utazi leaves.
• Enjoy ?
• Send me some
You can soak the abacha with warm water if using warm water, soak for up to 5 mins
if using kaun/akaun ( potash) crush and mix with water then sieve. Use the Sieved put water.
If you are vegetarian skip the meats.