As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
These spicy mini beef Pot pies would be the perfect addition to your brunch menu for Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day is around the corner and I am excited to share this recipe with you. I have had chicken and beef pot pies in my to do list for sometime now but have been thinking of the perfect time to share it. What perfect timing than Mother’s Day?
Today’s recipe happens to be a Mother’s Day collab between my friend Lois aka Mrs Yum over at Yummy Medley Be sure to check out her Mother’s Day post when you are done getting the scoop of these spicy beef pot pies.
“A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dates all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.”
– Agatha Christie,
Mother’s Day is a day that should be celebrated everyday because being a mother isn’t a joke. It is a responsibility and one that should be taken seriously. You are all shades of everything. You mean the world to your children. This Spicy mini beef pot pies would definitely delight every mom. Little individual beef pot pies made for me. I would totally love that. Bonus it freezes and warms up nicely.
“Before becoming a mother I had a hundred theories on how to bring up children. Now I have seven children and only one theory: love them, especially when they least deserve to be loved.”
– Kate Samperi
You will notice how I added lots of quotes about mothers in this post. There are lots and lots of them I would have loved to include but had to restrict myself because they were all beautiful quotes.
“If you bungle raising your children, I don’t think whatever else you do well matters very much.”
– Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
“Some are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers, but it is love just the same, and most mothers kiss and scold together.”
– Pearl S. Buck
Today in particular as I write this post. I really miss my mom. I thank God I still have my mom with me. This is the time to show them you love and appreciate them not when they are gone. Back to why I miss mom a lot today. She was with us for over a month. She went back recently and I miss her more. I am happy and grateful for the time we spent together and I look forward to the next time with love and hope and by God’s grace.
“The natural state of motherhood is unselfishness. When you become a mother, you are no longer the center of your own universe. You relinquish that position to your children.”
– Jessica Lange
Now back to this amazing recipe. It’s similar to my Nigerian meat pie recipe but with a difference. The pastry is different from the pastry used on my meat pie and chicken pie. This is pure short crust pastry as in egg free pastry ant trust me it is more tricky to work with when using it for meat pies but with pot pie it’s a breeze. The filling is also slightly different and runnier. Overall this recipe is amazing and perfect for mom. If mom doesn’t like spicy, reduce the quantity of the habanero pepper to half or skip it completely. It’s all about mom today.
The fact that this recipe is made in little pie plates makes it easier for you and me lol. All you need to do is scoop the filling into the mini pie plates, then roll out the pastry, cut out the circle and cover. Easy right? Yes that’s why I decided to share the recipe for my spicy beef pot pie so you can easily whip up something for mom.
I count myself blessed to have an amazing mom and mom-in-law. One thing I don’t take for granted is the privilege to be called mom by my sweet trio. My prayer today for those seeking this blessing in their lives is that The Lord would meet you at the point of your needs in Jesus’ name.
Mother’s Day celebrates all women, mothers- to- be, biological and non biological moms. You are awesome and amazing. You are Stronger than you think. You’ve got this. Happy Mother’s Day!!!❤
Would love to hear your cool plans for mom on Mothers Day. You can tell me all about it in the comments below. If you make these Spicy mini Beef Pot pies recipe, please take pictures. I would love to see them. You can share them on instagram with #mydiasporaskitchen then tag @mydiaporakitchen.
PIN! PIN! PIN!
Spicy beef pot pies for mom
- mini pie dishes
For the filling
- 300 g ground beef
- 2 Tbsp butter
- I small onion chopped
- 1 habanero pepper finely chopped
- 2 cups of milk or water
- 1/4 of a medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 of a medium green bell pepper chopped
- 11/2 cup frozen mixed veggies
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp flour to thicken the filling
- 500 g all purpose flour
- 226 g cold butter 2 sticks of butter
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder optional
- 1/4 cup icy Cold water you need just enough to bring the dough together
- Mix 1 Tbsp of flour with 2 tsp of water and set aside.
- Melt butter in sauce pan, then sauté onions in butter. Add the ground beef and break apart with spoon.
- Stir till all the pink is gone. Then salt, spices and herbs. Continue to stir. For another 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped red pepper, green bell peppers frozen veggies 2 cups of milk. Cover pot an allow to simmer on low heat for about 3 minutes
- Stir before you add the flour and water mixture you set aside to the meat. Let it cook for another minute. Then turn off the heat. The filling should be a bit runny and wet. Not dry and thick.
- Set aside and to cool
- With your finger tips, rub in cold butter into the flour until it looks like crumbs flour.
- Begin to add the icy cold water slowly as you mix. Add enough to bring the dough together. Be careful not to add to much water.
- Once the dough comes together, do not over mix. Wrap tightly in cling film or freezer bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While it's chilling out in the refrigerator, keep yourself busy by cleaning up
Bringing it all together:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Scoop the filling into the mini pie dishes. Fill them up but Do not over fill
- Divide dough into seven parts, roll out each part cut out the right size of circle to fit the pie dishes. Cover and poke holes in the middle to create steam outlet while baking.
- For extra beauty you can add some designs with the dough. I used a flower cut out some small flowers and glued it to the top with the egg wash.
- Brush the egg wash all over the surface of the pies.
- Bake in the preheated over for 20 to 25 mins or until the pastry is golden browned
- Allow to cool. Serve warm