This Classic Stove Top Mac & cheese is so creamy and delicious. Certainly an up grade from the good old box Mac and cheese . This is made from scratch and absolutely yummy!
Click here to pin this recipe for later
Table of Contents
- 1 How to make Mac and Cheese on the stove top / Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- 2 What kind of Pasta can I use to make Mac and Cheese?
- 3 What type of milk can I use to make Mac and cheese?
- 4 What kind of Cheese can I use to make Mac and Cheese?
- 5 ★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
- 6 Classic Stove top Mac and Cheese
How to make Mac and Cheese on the stove top / Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Mac and Cheese is one of the fastest and easiest meal to make. The Pre packaged Mac and Cheese already has a dry cheese mix. All you need to do is add the milk, butter and packet cheese mix after cooking the pasta.
In this classic Stovetop Mac and Cheese the sauce is made from scratch using shredded cheese or cheese cut into blocks.
There are two ways to make the sauce. Either you make a roux when you begin the sauce. A Roux is a mixture of butter and flour cooked together and used to thicken sauces
Or alternatively you add butter and flour to the boiling milk just before adding the cheese.
What kind of Pasta can I use to make Mac and Cheese?
Traditionally, elbow spaghetti is used to make Mac and cheese but you can use any pasta you like. But the ones I think work best besides the traditional elbow pasta are Penne and Rotini.
How to make the perfect pasta.
What type of milk can I use to make Mac and cheese?
- Whole milk
- Evaporated milk
- Half and half
What kind of Cheese can I use to make Mac and Cheese?
Mac and cheese is traditionally made with Sharp cheddar cheese. But you can definitely customize to your taste by combining cheeses.
You can add a bit of mozzarella and parmesan cheese to the cheddar cheese.
If you don't have the pre shredded cheese you can either shred yours or cut up the block cheese into one inch cubes like I did in this recipe.
If you love this Mac and Cheese Recipe you love these other pasta recipes.
- Mac and Cheese is best served immediately when warm because when cold it becomes clumpy and and coagulated.
- To get it back to a supple consistency, add some milk to the pot and warm it up before serving.
I hear you want to make this classic stove top Mac and Cheese. That's awesome.
Click on the links below to buy Handy Stuff you need to make this classic stove top Mac and Cheese.
Choice of Pasta:
Any of the pasta types below will work perfectly
Did you Enjoy this recipe? Or found the post helpful? Remember to share with family, friends and in your favorite Facebook group. There is love in sharing.
Hungry For More? Sign up for my Newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest updates!
Click here to Pin this Creamy Mac and Cheese for later
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
Classic Stove top Mac and Cheese
- ¼ cup Salted butter
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 16 oz macaroni
- 8 oz cheddar cheese block cubed or 2 to 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper optional
- Cook pasta according to instructions until al dente. Please read my how to make the perfect pasta post.
- While pasta is cooking, Melt butter in a sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add flour to the melted butter. Whisk until well combined ( be careful not to burn the roux)
- Pour the milk into the roux and whisk until combined then add the onion powder and black pepper.
- When the sauce begins to boil, add the cheese cubes or shredded cheese, 1 cup at a time. Stir continuously until sauce is smooth. Don't cook for too long.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce or vice verse.. mix thoroughly.
- Serve immediately
[…] is slightly different from my Beefaroni recipe because we used heavy cream here. If you’ve tried Mac and cheese or my mom’s creamy spaghetti recipe then cream and pasta isn’t a new thing to […]