As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Cobb salad also called chicken cobb salad is a rich, healthy and filling salad. So filling it can serve as a main meal. This filling salad recipe has some lettuce, crunchy bacon, tomatoes, chicken chunks, avocado slices, hard boiled eggs and some chives or onions with a creamy salad or Vaigrenette dressing.
This easy salad comes together in minutes and tastes absolutely divine. It would definitely give Chick-fil-A a run for their buck. Learn how to make it in just a few easy steps.
Classic Cobb Salad
This Cobb salad recipe is a must make. When you eventually try it you will wonder why it took you so long to make such an easy salad. If you are looking for an easy yet delicious salad to serve for dinner or your next family gathering? Cobb salad is one of those salads you can easily create a homemade salad bar for.
Easily assemble ingredients with minimal prep. Wondering what a salad bar is. Don’t worry I got ya.
What is a Salad bar? How to make a salad bar at home.
A salad bar is a buffet style table usually seen in restaurants, some grocery stores or food market that have various ingredients used to make salads are displayed for customers to mix and match and create their own individual salads.
You can also make a salad bar at home and it’s easy. All you need is your salad ingredients and individual bowls. Put each ingredient in a separate bowl and cover tightly in the refrigerator. Leave the eggs unpeeled until ready to assemble.
What is Cobb Salad? Is it the same as Chef Salad.
Cobb Salad is American Salad that is said to have been developed in the 1930s by the owner of a restaurant called Brown Derby’s in Hollywood California. The story says he was hungry late one night and threw a bunch of ingredients together and created this edible masterpiece that is Cobb salad. His name was Robert Cobb, therefore the Salad was named after him.
Chef Salad is a similar salad that has been around for longer. Contains similar ingredients with a little difference. See below.
What is the difference between a Cobb Salad and a Chef Salad?
The major difference in Cobb Salad and Chef Salad is in the following ingredients.
- Cobb Salad requires Avocados while Chef Salad does not.
- The type of meats used is also different. Deli cut meats like ham, slices of turkey are used in Chef salads while meats like chicken breast and bacon are used in Cobb Salad.
- The type of cheese used is also different. Cheddar cheese is used for chef salad while crumbled blue cheese is used for Cobb salad.
Original dressing for Cobb Salad.
The original dressing used for Cobb salad is a mayonnaise based dressing. A ranch dressing will be fine. You can also use a Vinaigrette dressing for this recipe. Which ever dressing you choose for Cobb salad, it would definitely taste delicious.
This easy Cobb salad requires accessible ingredients. Which means if you don’t already have them in at home, you can easily get them in your nearest grocery store. They are
- Romaine Lettuce
- Cooked Bacon
- Cooked Chicken breast
- Hard boiled eggs
- Blue cheese
For the Dressing
How to make this easy Cobb Salad
**This is just an overview of the recipe, detailed ingredients list and instructions are in the recipe card below.
Making Cobb Salad at home is as easy as ABC so relax cos if i can, you can too.
- Prepare your ingredients by washing your veggies. Make sure to use a salad spinner to dry your lettuce. We really don’t need a dripping lettuce for this recipe or any salad recipe at all.
- Cook the bacon on the stove top, in the oven or in your air fryer. You can also use store bought crumbled bacon for this recipe.
- Cook the chicken breast or cut out chicken breast from store bought rotisserie chicken.
Make ahead instructions and How to store.
Cobb Salad is best eaten fresh. I understand that sometimes we might need to make some foods ahead either for lack of time or as a meal prep option. Follow the steps below if you want to make this ahead.
- Cooked chicken breast and bacon can stay up to a week in the refrigerator. Some veggies may not stay fresh once they’ve been cut.
- I would suggest you prepare your salad ingredients except the avocado* up to 3 days ahead. Wash and dry your veggies. Cut them and put them in separate bowls tightly covered in the refrigerator.
- Store the boiled eggs in their shells.
- On the day you are ready to serve. Crack the eggs and slice, layer all salad ingredients including the meats. Slice the avocado just as you about to serve. Add it to the salad, add the salad dressing and serve immediately.
How to store.
Like I mentioned above, Cobb Salad is best eaten as fresh as the day it was made. Having said that, if you have already mixed the Salad with the dressing, all hope isn’t lost. You can store the salad in a clean air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 24hrs
* Due to oxidation process, an Avocado begins to brown as soon as it’s cut and exposed to air (oxygen) it’s won’t be a pretty sight for your guests.
Other Salad Recipes to try
- Cucumber Salad
- Chef Salad
- Salmon Salad
Did you find the post helpful, leave me a comment and share the link to this post with your family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.
this so others too you
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
Cobb Salad Recipe
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/8 tsp salt 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 medium head Romaine lettuce
- 6 slices of bacon cooked and chopped or 3/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 2 cooked chicken breasts you can use rotisserie chicken as well.
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 medium sized red onions
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado cubed.
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Make the Dressing
- Make the dressing Pour all dressing ingredients into a mason jar, shake to combine then set aside to prepare salad .
- Layer the salad ingredients or place side by side in this order some lettuce, some bacon, some boiled eggs, some cherry tomatoes, some cooked chicken, some onions, some avocado cubes and some blue cheese.
- Repeat process till all ingredients are used up.
With this salad can be made up to 2 days ahead