A decadent Whipped Coffee cream that has taken over the internet. Dalgona Coffee has gone viral, curtesy of a Tiktok user who demonstrated how to make this Korean whipped coffee on her page. The good thing is it’s easy to make and requires just 3 simple pantry ingredients you probably already have sitting on your pantry. Sugar, Instant Coffee and water.
Whipped Coffee? Whipped Coffee Cream? Dalgona Coffee? What is it?
Whipped coffee also known as Dalgona coffee is a Korean beverage that has taken over the internet and social media world since the stay at home routine.
It’s a simple beverage that is made by whipping equal amounts of instant coffee, sugar and hot water to form a mousse like creamy consistency. This whipped coffee is then added to cold or hot milk and it tastes absolutely divine.
Origin of Dalgona coffee
Dalgona Coffee is said to have originated from India where it’s known as whipped coffee or beaten coffee. It was brought to lime light by a South Korean Actor who tasted it on a visit to a restaurant in China.
It reminded him of a dalgona a type Korean toffee made with sugar and baking soda. This toffee is commonly sold in the streets of South Korea.
Ingredients needed to make whipped coffee cream
How to make whipped coffee (Dalgona coffee)
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos, full instructions are on the printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Pic 1-3; Mix dry ingredients together, then add water
Pic 4-6; Whip!
How to use Dalgona coffee
Besides topping off your milk with this Magic whipped coffee cream, there are a few other ways to use it and they are listed below
- Make some Frappuccino! Add some ice to a high powered blender, add some milk of choice and this whipped coffee cream, blend till smooth, top with whipped cream or whipped coconut milk if vegan or dairy free
- Hello coffee MilkShake! Blend this dalgona coffee with your favorite vanilla ice cream and viola!
- What about a mocha Milkshake! Blend with your favorite chocolate ice cream and make the best mocha milkshake ever!
- You can make some no churn coffee ice cream by mixing this whipped coffee cream with your sweetened condensed milk before adding it to the whipped heavy cream to make the easiest, creamiest coffee ice cream ever!
Quick Recipe Notes and tips
- To prevent a clumpy residue after whipping, mix the sugar and coffee with a fork before adding the water.
- Be patient while you whip. It may seem like it’s not getting there but it does before you realize it.
- I like to use Decaffeinated Instant coffee to reduce the caffeine load per serving.
- Use your favorite milk of choice even nut milk.
- If your are living a sugar free or keto or low carb lifestyle, you can swap out the sugar for a low carb sweetener like Lakanto.
- Use a hand mixer or an immersion blender. If you use your hands it will take a pretty long arm workout to whip this up to the required stiff consistency.
Variations of Dalgona Coffee (beaten coffee)
These are my own creations. I Just decided to play with the whipped coffee and these are what I came up with. Hope you love these flavors. Drop me a comment let me know what flavor variations you are inventing.
- French Vanilla Dalgona Coffee
- Mocha Dalgona Coffee
My Honest Review of this viral whipped coffee.
First off, though I love a hint of coffee flavor in my desserts especially chocolate desserts and cookies, I am not a huge coffee fan so I found the Diagona coffee flavor too intense.
It was less intense when divided this recipe among 3 to 4 people over a 10 oz glass of milk each. I also lpnfind that it works perfectly for me with my coffee ice cream and milkshake.
Did you find the post helpful, leave me a comment and share the link to this post with your family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.
PS: Enjoyed this Recipe? Share it so others can enjoy it too. Thank you 😊
Classic Dalgona Coffee
- hand mixer
- 2 Tbsp Instant Coffee (preferable decaf)
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Water (hot or cold)
- 3 10 oz Milk of choice (hot or cold)
- Measure out ingredients into a dry cup and mix
- Add water, stir to combine
- Whip the coffee till stiff peaks form
- Fill mugs with milk of choice then Spoon whipped coffee on top of the milk