Air fryer Mexican rice or Spanish rice is super easy to make and gives you rice grains that are single and not mushy. Making rice in the oven is kind of my jam, so I knew I had to try make rice in my air fryer.
Air fryerMexican rice Recipe (Spanish rice)
This delicious recipe is easy to make in an air fryer. You would be surprised at how amazing this Mexican rice recipe turns out in your air fryer. Just like my oven cooked Jollof rice recipes, this recipe method can be addictive.
What is Mexican Rice, Is it healthy?
Mexican Rice also known as Spanish rice, red rice or Arroz Rojo is the Mexican version of the popular West African Jollof rice.
Mexican rice is as healthy as any rice recipe. The only thing is to eat in moderation. The best way to achieve this is to eat rice as a side dish.
How to cook Air fryer Mexican rice. (How to cook rice in your air fryer)
*This is just an overview with step by step photos, full recipe and instructions can be found on printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Cooking rice in the air fryer requires a few techniques. First of all you need to be aware that steam cooks rice not just heat, therefore, you would need to trap the steam in the rice while you cook it in the air fryer.
Now let’s get making this Air fryer Spanish rice.
Step by step photos
Pic 1-3; Mix the add water to spice mix and tomato paste to loosen the paste.
Pic 4-6; spray the pan to prevent rice from sticking, add stock and the tomato paste mixture.
Pic 7-9; add onions, jalapeños peppers and oil, cover tightly with foil, and bake /cook
Pic 10-12; fluff cooked rice, mix in peas let residual heat cook the peas.
Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- You don’t need to preheat your air fryer to cook Mexican rice.
- Covering the pan tightly with foil helps the rice cook faster because it traps steam.
How to serve and how to store
Mexican rice is a great side dish that can be served with any protein and salad if your choice. Are a few suggestions
Tools you might need to make air fryer Mexican rice
Other rice recipes you can make in your air fryer
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave me a comment and share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.
PS: Enjoyed this Recipe? Share it so others can enjoy it too. Thank you 😊
Air fryer Mexican rice.
- Air fryer
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 ¾ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp pepper flakes
- ½ of a small jalapeño pepper deseeded and chopped optional
- ¼ cup green peas
- 1 tsp Chicken Bouillon powder (or to taste considering the salt and bouillon in your chicken stock)
- salt To taste if needed
- Dilute Tomato paste and spices with ¼ cup of water and set aside.
- Spray baking pan with oil spray,
- Wash rice till water runs clear drain and transfer rice into baking pan.
- Pour chicken stock or water into the rice in the pan, add the diluted tomato paste, onions chopped jalapeños and cooking oil, stir to combine.
- Cover tightly with foil Then bake in the air fryer at 400 F for 50 mins. Check the rice, the liquid should be all absorbed and rice ready. Stir in peas and stir let try residual heat cook the peas. Serve warm.
- Stir in the peas if using at the 50 minutes mark, If there in rice isn't fully absorbed and cooked by this time, Cover with foil and cook for another 10 minutes. Let it rest for 5 more minutes then fluff rice and serve.
- Taste your mix before adding extra bouillon or salt.
- Check the rice at about 50 mins and add the peas.
- This air fryer rice can be adapted to fit any Jollof style rice you like.
- This recipe will serve 3-4 people as a side dish or 2 people as a main meal
- Disclaimer: Air fryers differ, yours may cook for less time or for more time