As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
My Air fryer Mac and cheese is made from scratch and is so creamy and doesn’t require boiling the Pasta before mixing in the cheese, milk and other ingredients. This easy air fryer recipe is one you will love and is a perfect side for Thanksgiving or anytime of the year. Make this easy air fryer macaroni and cheese recipe today and watch the smile on your kids’ faces turn into a grin.
Air fryer Macaroni and Cheese
I heart Mac and Cheese!
Don’t we all. Well most people I know especially the kids. We make Mac and cheese often not only during thanksgiving.
Air fryer Mac and Cheese Calories and nutrition facts.
Calories in Mac and cheese will depend on the ingredients used. The cheese or cheeses, milk or heavy cream, butter and serving size will affect the nutritional facts. My recipe serves 4 and has 512 calories per serving.
Best Pasta for Mac and cheese in the Air fryer.
I use elbow macaroni for my Mac and cheese recipes because that’s what am I used to and that’s what the kids like since it makes it look like the boxed store bought Mac and cheese.
You can use any short pasta of your liking like
- Pasta /noodle of choice
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream or milk (see notes)
- Black pepper
- Dry Mustard
- Cheddar cheese (Sharp or mild)
How to make Air fryer Mac and cheese
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Full recipe instructions can be found in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Pic 1-3; grate cheese, pour noodles into an eight inch pan, add the liquid ingredients
Pic 4-6; add cream cheese, condiments, shredded cheddar chees and mix
Pic 7-9; cover tightly with foil, put a lond folded foil paper before putting the covered pan in the air fryer basket. this will help lift out the pan after cooking.
Pic 10-12; Check for doneness, put back into air fryer without the foil for a few more minutes.
Make ahead instructions and how to store air fryer macaroni and cheese.
If you want to make air fryer Mac and cheese ahead, follow the instructions in this recipe, after cooking, let Mac and cheese cool completely then transfer to a microwave safe bowl and cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To reheat: Mac and cheese thickens when it cools whether it’s on the counter, in the refrigerator or in the freezer. The best way to get it back to its creamy state is to reheat with some liquid added to it. You can use either water or milk, I prefer to use milk.
- Transfer Mac and cheese to a microwave safe bowl if you didn’t stored it in one.
- Add liquid of choice, quantity will depend on size of Mac and cheese being reheated and stir. I use 2 Tbsp of milk per cup of Mac and cheese. You can use less or more.
- Reheat slowing in 30 seconds intervals until it’s warmed through. Remember to stir once or twice in between reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Also called macaroni and cheese, it is a comfort food popular in the united states made from cooked pasta, usually elbow macaroni and some cheesy sauce.
This comfort food can be made gluten free depending on the ingrdients used. if you atre gluten free make sure to use gluten free elbow macaroni
That answer woulkd depend on your health goals. If you are looking to lose a lot of pounds then daily indulgernce on mac and cheese definitely won’t help you get there. But if you on a steady weight and are looking for an occasional comfort food, eating this in moderation wont be bad for you.
Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- Mac and cheese is a very versatile side dish, I used cream cheese and cheddar cheese in this recipe but you can use a combination of any cheese your family prefers.
- Type of milk to use to in this recipe include evaporated milk, Fresh milk or heavy cream. If you decide to use evaporated milk or fresh milk, be sure to add about 2 Tbsp of butter to the recipe.
- I like to cover the Mac and cheese with foil for the first 30mins so it cooks better and doesn’t dry out while cooking.
- You might need to adjust cook time downwards by about 5 mins if using a dark colored pan. A dark pan is likely to cook faster than a light colored aluminum pan since dark pan tend to retain more heat while cooking.
- If your cooking pan doesn’t have a handle to help lift out the pan from the basket. You can create a sling from folded foil.
Did you enjoy this recipe or found it helpful, please leave me a comment and shre the link to this recipe with family and friends and inyour favorite facebook group.
Click here to pin this recipe for later.
Creamy Air fryer Mac and cheese
- Air fryer
- 7 inch or 8 inch cake pan
- 8 oz elbow noodles
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese
- 8 oz block of cheddar cheese mild or sharp.
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Grate the cheddar cheese, add noddles to pan, add the water and heavy cream
- Add cream cheese and condiments, mix to combine, then add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir.
- Cover tightly with foil, place a foil sling at thge bottom of basket before putting pan in. then cook for 30 mins
- After 30 mins remove foil and cook fo another 5 to 7 mins. stir and serve. it may still look wet, but it will thicken as it cools.