Easy cucumber sandwiches recipe, made with or without the perfect cream cheese spread served as an appetizer or as part of a high tea menu. Cucumbers are very healthy vegetables and I love my cucumbers either as a snack or in my favorite salads or juices. Learn how to make cucumber tea sandwiches also called southern cucumber sandwiches with some mayonnaise in the mix and add this to your repertoire of cucumber recipes.
Table of Contents
- 1 Cucumber Sandwich Recipe (Southern Cucumber Sandwiches)
- 2 Cucumber Sandwich Spread
- 3 What is the best Cucumber to use for Cucumber sandwiches
- 4 Ingredients needed for cucumber sandwiches and spread
- 5 How to make the best Cucumber Sandwich
- 6 Best bread for cucumber sandwiches.
- 7 Make ahead instructions and how to store.
- 8 Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- 9 Other Cucumber Recipes to try.
- 10 Southern Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Cucumber Sandwich Recipe (Southern Cucumber Sandwiches)
Like my Shepherd’s pie, cucumber sandwiches are a British delight that has found its way to the rest of the world. Very easy to make and super duper tasty. This is my daughter’s favorite choice of a healthy sandwich and can easily be packed as lunch for the kids.
Cucumber Sandwich Spread
My favorite spread for my this cucumber sandwich or cucumber sandwiches recipe is cream cheese, some mayonnaise and herbs. Some people prefer to use butter but I prefer to use cream cheese because it’s less oily and keeps the cucumbers in place.
If you like butter feel free to use it or a mix of both. For this recipe, cream cheese does the magic in my opinion.
What is the best Cucumber to use for Cucumber sandwiches
The best type cucumber to use for this cucumber sandwich recipe is the English cucumbers or Persian cucumbers because they have less seeds and are not so watery.
This helps prevent the sandwiches from getting soggy. English cucumbers are those long slender cucumbers commonly found in the grocery store. They are different from the regular shorter and darker green cucumbers.
Ingredients needed for cucumber sandwiches and spread
- For sandwiches;
- For the spread or filling;
- English Cucumber slices
- Cream cheese
- Fresh dill (can be substituted with dry dill)
- Dry chives
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
How to make the best Cucumber Sandwich
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Full recipe instructions can be found at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Pic 1-3; Mix the ingredients for the spread together in a bowl
Pic 4-6; Spread filling mix on one side of the bread, place the cucumber slices nicely over the spread then cover with another slice of bread.
Pic 7-9; Hold the sandwich in place and gently cut off the crusts (edges) of the bread. Then cut bread into 3 or 4 rectangles. Or even into 4 squares for cucumber sandwich bites. Go for the triangles too if that what you prefer.
Best bread for cucumber sandwiches.
Breads that have a wide surface with thick slices make the best cucumber tea sandwiches. Fresh bread is fine too.
I have also used Naan bread to make naan sandwiches and it sure makes great cucumber sandwiches too.
Make ahead instructions and how to store.
These Southern Cucumber slices are best served fresh. But if you intend to that this out on a picnic, it can be made up to 2 hrs ahead. Which means make your sandwiches and consume within two hours.
Arrange in a plate and cover with cling film. Pack it into your picnic basket and serve immediately when you get to the picnic location.
I don’t recommend storing in the fridge since it can get soggy from moisture when it’s brought to room temperature.
Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- It’s best to use English cucumbers because they have less moisture and will reduce the chances of a soggy sandwich.
- You do not need to spread the filling on both slices, the cucumber slices with stick to the side that has the spread on.
- Cover the bread and lightly press together then gently cut off the crusts.
- Use a bread knife to make your slices in a sawing motion.
Frequently Asked Questions
They seen as posh because of the delicate flavor and the fact that it was usually served at tea meetings organised by the rich in England
Use English or Persian cucumbers that are not too watery. Also storing cucumber sandwiches in the refrigerator can make the sandwiches soggy from condensation when thy are brought to room temperature.
Cucumber sandwiches are best eaten fresh but can last up to 8 hrs covered tightly with cling film in a dish though I do not recommend keeping them for too long.
Other Cucumber Recipes to try.
Did you enjoy this recipe or found it helpful, please leave me a comment and share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite facebook group.
Hungry For More? Sign up for my Newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest updates!
Click here to pin this recipe for later.
Southern Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
- Mandoline Slicer
- 10 slices of bread
- 4 oz of cream cheese (½ of a standard block of cream cheese)
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dry dill
- ½ teaspoon dry chives (substitute with ⅛ teaspoon onion powder)
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 English cucumber. (Thinly sliced)
Make the filling or spread
- Transfer mayonnaise and cream cheese into a bowl, add spice-herb blend into the bowl and mix to combine.
Assembling the sandwiches
- Spread filling onto one side of 5 slices of bread, arrange sliced cucumbers over filling on each bread, then cover filled slices with the plain bread slices.
- Cut crusts off each sandwich, then cut sandwiches into smaller triangles and serve
- Use a mandoline slicer if you have one for thinly sliced cucumbers. if you dont have one, you can use a sharp knife and a chopping board but make sure you go slowly so you don't get hurt.
- Use less watery cucumbers like English cucumbers to prevent soggy sandwiches.
- See body of post for more tips and frequently asked questions.
[…] Cucumber Sandwich […]
[…] cut your sandwiches, you can cut them in squares, triangles or little rectangles like I did in my cucumber sandwiches recipe. You will love this detailed post on how to cut […]