Summer Fruit salads are a great way to get your dose of healthy. This blueberry watermelon salad doesn't disappoint in that regard . Summer is definitely full of delicious fruits that can keep you refreshed. Why not make some Blueberry watermelon delight.
Table of Contents
- 1 Watermelon blueberry Salad recipe.
- 2 Why is this blueberry watermelon salad good for you?
- 3 What you need
- 4 How to make watermelon blueberry salad.
- 5 How to cut a watermelon
- 6 How to use a melon baller
- 7 Variations of this recipe
- 8 Tips
- 9 More Watermelon and blueberry recipes.
- 10 Easy Blueberry Watermelon Salad
Watermelon blueberry Salad recipe.
Watermelons are refreshing and full of water (watermelon juice). You can enjoy watermelon cold or at room temperature likewise this blueberry watermelon salad can easily be enjoyed at any time.
Yes anytime, however, having this cold salad straight from the refrigerator is my absolute favorite way to enjoy it.
I love to add some honey syrup to sweeten things a bit. Go ahead and skip it you if want however, I would highly recommend it if you have a watermelon that is not so sweet.
Why is this blueberry watermelon salad good for you?
- Blueberries and watermelons are packed rich with nutrients. They are rich in vitamins
- Watermelons have very high water content so they help with hydration
- Blueberries are rich in fiber, vit C and vit K
- Watermelons are low calorie contain vit C, Carotenoids which give red fruits like tomatoes and watermelon its color and is said to be beneficial to health
- Blueberries is said to reduce DNA damage which may help to protect against cancer
- Watermelon is said to have an anti inflammatory effect and also helps to control blood pressure.
- Watermelon is rich in fiber and the combination of fiber and water can help you stay full for longer.
What you need
- Honey syrup
- A melon baller or teaspoon
How to make watermelon blueberry salad.
This summer salad is one of the easiest salads to put together. Just 3 ingredients!
- Prepare the honey syrup and set aside to cool.
- Wash the watermelon and blueberries and set aside.
- Cut the watermelon into two halves, Depending on the size of the watermelon, if it’s a huge one, use the other half for juice, slushy or popsicles.
- Use a melon baller or tablespoon to scoop out the flesh of the watermelon.
- Gently toss the fruits together in a bowl and chill.
- Serve with honey syrup
How to cut a watermelon
This is an overview of how to cut a watermelon. I have a detailed blog post that covers the topic thoroughly which I think you should check out as it shows how to cut a watermelon into a variety of shapes like triangles, sticks and cubes
How to use a melon baller
Are your wondering why my watermelon in the salad is shaped like a ball?. I use a melon baller or a round measuring teaspoon to achieve that.
I actually used a measuring teaspoon since my little kitchen helper misplaced my melon baller. I am pretty sure if I look through the toy box it would be there. To use a teaspoon instead of a melon baller, make sure it's a rounded teaspoon like the one.
So how do you use a melon baller?
- Wash the melon, cut it into half.
- Sink the melon baller into the watermelon
- Next gently rotate your hand in a scooping motion until the face of the baller now faces up.
- That’s it.
Variations of this recipe
- Watermelon blueberry feta salad
- Greek watermelon salad
- Watermelon cucumber salad.
- This salad is best enjoyed on the day it was made. However if you must keep for later, I recommend keeping it for only 2 days in the refrigerator.
- If your watermelon isn't sweet enough on its own you can add some honey syrup to sweeten things up. Honey syrup is made with an equal amount of water and honey. However, I usually use 1 cup of water and ½ cup of honey. I love using honey syrup in my juices. I have a detailed post on honey syrup and it’s variations. Feel free to check it out.
More Watermelon and blueberry recipes.
- Watermelon juice: Nothing as refreshing as this homemade watermelon juice.
- Blueberry ice cream: Bursting with blueberry flavors, this homemade no churn ice cream comes together nicely and tastes so good
- Watermelon slushy: This does amazing things on the heat of summer
- Lemon blueberry pancakes: One bite into these fluffy lemon blueberry pancakes is enough to make you wonder why you haven’t been making them all this while.
- Watermelon popsicles: my kiddos love popsicles and there is nothing better than these healthy homemade fruit pops.
Oh well... let's gets fruit salad making
Love it? Pin it!
Easy Blueberry Watermelon Salad
- 4 cups of seedless watermelon
- 1 cup of blueberries
- ½ cup honey syrup optional
- Wash fruits, cut watermelon in two, use a melon baller or a teaspoon to scoop out the watermelon
- Gently toss fruits together in a bowl and chill for about 30 mins in the refrigerator
- Serve when chilled.
- If using honey syrup, add syrup just before you serve or to individual bowls after serving.
- Blueberry-Watermelon salad is best served the day it is made. but can keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
- Refer to blog post for variations of this summer salad