Want a fast and easy dinner in 15 minutes or less? This canned tuna pasta recipe will definitely fit the bill. Easy to make, very tasty and gets food on the table in no time. If you love sea food pasta, or you are looking for an easy tuna and pasta recipe, this is a recipe to try.
Agreed it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of shrimps, scallops or clams but i assure you that you would love this easy pasta recipe. Let me show you exactly how I make mine in easy to follow steps with pictures included.
Table of Contents
- 1 Canned Tuna Pasta Recipe
- 2 Why you’ll love this￼ Canned Tuna recipe
- 3 Ingredients for Tuna Pasta
- 4 Tools to make this easy pasta recipe
- 5 How to make Tuna Pasta with Step by Step photos.
- 6 What to serve with canned tuna pasta
- 7 Make ahead and how to store.
- 8 Quick recipe Notes and Tips
- 9 Canned Tuna Pasta Recipe Variations
- 10 FAQs
- 11 More Pasta recipes you’ll love
- 12 15 minute canned Tuna Pasta Recipe.
Canned Tuna Pasta Recipe
This canned Tuna pasta is one of the easiest pasta recipes you’ll make and is very similar to my sardine pasta recipe. Both are delicious and perfect for meal time. This is one of my favorite mid week dinner recipes because I literally pick ingredients out of my pantry and get cooking.
You’ll love how tasty this garlic tuna pasta recipe turns out so much that the next time you are thinking of things to make with tuna and pasta this recipe will definitely pop up in your memory.
Canned sardines and tuna both in oil and water are some of my pantry staples. Canned foods are great to have in stock especially for emergencies. This list of pantry staples to stock up on is a good one to check out.
Related Recipes: Tuna sauce, how to cook pasta, Ground beef pasta
Why you’ll love this￼ Canned Tuna recipe
- Canned Tuna pasta is a budget friendly recipe that gets ready in less than 20 mins.
- There’s nothing easier and more adaptable than this easy pasta with canned tuna recipe.
- Canned tuna doesn’t have a fishy smell so most people averse to fish can actually enjoy this recipe.
Ingredients for Tuna Pasta
- Pasta of choice (I used fettuccini, but you can use any pasta of your choice)
- Cooking oil
- Red bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Canned Tuna in oil
Tools to make this easy pasta recipe
The list below may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and affiliate to other merchants, this website may earn from qualifying purchases. Please read full disclosure here
- My favorite pot for making pasta is this stainless steel pot by 360 cookware. You should check them out and use MDK25 to get 25% off your entire purchase.
- A good quality Dutch oven is another option
- Pasta spoon
How to make Tuna Pasta with Step by Step photos.
This is an overview of the recipe. Full printable recipe and instructions can be found at the bottom of this page. While you are here, you might like to check out my easy guide on how to cook the perfect pasta This blog post wouldn’t cover how to cook pasta in details but you can find all the details of cooking pasta to perfection there.
Pic 1-3; Make the pasta according to pasta box instructions. Be sure to check out my post on how to cook the perfect pasta for guidance too.
Pic 4-6; while water is boiling in preparation for pasta, begin the sauce by sautéing garlic and onions.
Pic 7-9; Add bell peppers and canned Tuna and pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
Pic 10-12; Add drained pasta to tuna sauce, mix in till well combined.
What to serve with canned tuna pasta
This Tuna and pasta recipe can be served with a variety of side dishes like cucumber salad, garlic butter bread, coleslaw and lots more.
If you want something a little extra, serve with meats like this air fryer drumsticks.
Make ahead and how to store.
Canned Tuna Pasta can be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I have never frozen this recipe since I usually don’t have any left overs.
Quick recipe Notes and Tips
- Whatever you choose to put in your Tuna pasta is totally up to you in terms of spice blend or extra veggies. The basics is the presence of tuna and pasta in this recipe.
- The type of pasta used is also a matter of preference if you are aiming to make tuna spaghetti, then spaghetti should be your choice of pasta.
- As soon as you put the water on the stove to boil, work fast and start with the tuna sauce so it’s ready to be mixed when the pasta is drained and ready.
- The type of canned tuna to use is up to you but I prefer to use canned tuna in oil for this recipe because it has more flavor ( the oil kinda seals flavor unlike the tuna packed in water).
Canned Tuna Pasta Recipe Variations
There are various ways to enjoy this easy pasta recipe. Below are a some of our favs
- Make it creamy: You can make a creamy canned tuna pasta by adding some heavy cream or milk and cream cheese while making it like I did with my creamy spaghetti recipe.
- Adding some tomatoes: You can also decide to make it Jollof style aka tomato tuna pasta. The Jollof style canned tuna requires cooking the pasta with tuna and tomato sauce. So so good. You can easily make tomato tuna pasta by using my Tuna Sauce recipe as a base.
- Making a casserole out of it: To make a nice tuna pasta bake, transfer pasta into a casserole dish as you would for baked ziti. Top with cheese and bake till cheese is melted and bubbly.
What does canned Tuna pair well with?
Canned tuna is a versatile source of protein, it can be paired with salads, beans, mashed potatoes and eggs.
What is the best type of pasta for canned Tuna pasta?
This recipe is not selective! Any pasta in your favorite shape would work. Today I used fettuccini, but I’ve also used rigatoni, penne, elbow pasta and spaghetti.
How long can you keep tuna pasta in the fridge?
3 to 5 days in a functional refrigerator should be fine.
Can you reheat tuna pasta bake?
Yes you can and it’s incredibly easy! Reheat in the microwave or in an oven.
More Pasta recipes you’ll love
Love it? Pin it! Then follow My Diaspora Kitchen on Pinterest for more delicious recipes.
This recipe was originally published in September 2020. The blog post has been updated to include more helpful tips. Recipe is still the same.
15 minute canned Tuna Pasta Recipe.
- 16 oz fettuccine pasta
- 3 cans Tuna in oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon more to taste
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- ½ medium small green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium sized onion chopped.
- 2-3 tablespoon cooking oil (olive oil, canola oil or vegetable oil works)
- ½ tablespoon pepper flakes adjust upwards or downwards to your taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice optional
- Bring water to boil and cook pasta according to packet instructions and Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, sauté garlic and onions, add chopped bell peppers, bouillon and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Add the canned tuna and pepper flakes.
- Let simmer on low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the drained pasta into the tuna sauce, mix to combine.
- Serve warm.
Wow! It looks beautiful and super tasty.I can't wait to make mine
I think you’ll love it. Kindly let us know when you try it out.
This recipe was easy to make in my little dorm room. I’m an exchange student in the Uk and I love your recipes.
I've just realised I've not had fettuccine for such a long time. Now I want some although it's breakfast time here in Scotland.
This is the perfect meal for those busy days when you just want something quick and delicious! Canned tuna is such a wonderful pantry staple.
Patty at Spoonabilities
This is an amazing, protein packed, easy dinner! I always rely on a pasta dish to throw together when it's a busy day. This recipe is definitely going to be one of those go-to's!
Yum! This looks so delicious and tasty! I can't wait to make this!
Perfect pantry dinner! This was so flavorful and so easy to make. Will definitely make again!