Honey syrup or honey simple syrup is a great way to sweeten teas, cocktails, mock tails or homemade juices without the need to use refined sugar. It’s a nice simple syrup substitute made with honey, which also requires just 2 ingredients and a few minutes of your time.
Honey Syrup recipe
I make a lot of homemade juices and my go to sweetener is usually honey simple syrup when I’m not using a sugar free version made with a keto sweetener.
To be honest honey is actually sweeter than sugar so you will need less to sweeten your drinks. I also like the flavor it adds to it.
If you haven’t tried a refined sugar free syrup before, this is the time to and I am sure you’d like it.
How to make Honey syrup in easy steps
- Measure out your ingredients.
- Add the water and honey into a sauce pan and bring to a boil till honey blends in.
- Turn off heat and let it cool.
- Then use in any recipe you like or store for later.
How to use it in recipes
Use it as your would use simple syrup in your recipes. You can use it in the following ways.
- Moisten cakes
- Sweeten juices and cocktails
- To sweeten a cup of Coffee
- As a dressing for fruit salads like this watermelon blueberry salad
How to store.
If making ahead, let the syrup cool completely before transferring into a clean air tight swing top bottle or mason jar. Then Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
There are other ways to make this simple recipe, adding some other ingredients and flavors will give a nice variation of this recipe
Honey Ginger Syrup
This is made with honey, ginger and water. It’s usually used to sweeten teas, cocktails and as an elixir for colds. I also like to use it as an alternative to adding ginger to my pineapple ginger juice.
Lavender honey syrup
If you love a hint of lavender in your cakes and drinks. A simple mix of honey, water and lavender flowers or dried buds will make a perfectly flavored sweetener for your needs.
Honey Butter Syrup
This variation is used for pancakes. A delicious mix of honey, butter and milk poured over your hot cakes is a nice way to start your mornings.
Vegan Honey Syrup
How to decrystallize honey
Sometimes you might find that your honey has hardened or crystallized on storage. Not to worry this is normal. You can easily get it soften the honey by following either of the steps below.
1. Water bath method: So you need to do is to bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Turn off the heat and put the bottle of honey in the hot water and let it sit in there till it’s melted.
2. Microwave method: If the honey is in a glass jar, you can microwave it at 30 secs intervals till it’s fully de crystallized.
Your frequently asked questions answered!
Is honey syrup the same as honey?
No it’s not the same. Honey is a sweet substance made by honey bees while the syrup is a mix of water and honey usually in equal amounts.
Do you refrigerate honey syrup?
Yes it needs to be refrigerated to keep it safe for consumption.
Can I substitute honey for sugar when making simple syrup?
Yes you can, we just did it in this recipe
- You can adjust the ratio to your liking and taste. For instance instead of using a 1:1 ratio of water and honey, you can use a 1: ½ ratio.
- If on a keto or low carb diet, you can substitute the honey for a keto friendly honey like Nature’s hollow sugar free honey substitute.
- The color of end product the will depend on the color of the honey. A darker colored honey will yield a darker end product and vice versa.
- Double the recipe as needed.
Did you enjoy this recipe or found it helpful, please leave me a comment and share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite facebook group.
Honey syrup (Honey simple syrup)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup water
- Mix honey and water in a saucepan.
- Bring mix to a low boil while stirring till honey dissolves and blends in with water.
- Let it cool completely before using. Transfer cooler syrup into a swing top bottle or mason jar and store in the refrigerator for 2 weeks