Homemade Strawberry ice cream that's better than store bought, egg free and doesn't need an ice cream machine. This strawberry ice cream recipe is so creamy and has an intense strawberry flavor from roasted fresh strawberries. Ever thought to learn how to make ice cream, who knew making ice cream at home could be this easy? Looking for a nice dessert for summer or all year round? Let me show you how to make this easy homemade strawberry dessert in a variety of ways and with step by step photos.
Homemade Strawberry Ice cream
Strawberry ice cream is one of our favorite strawberry desserts around here. So this strawberry ice cream is one of the ice cream flavors I make often.
I discovered the art homemade no churn ice cream years ago from a YouTube video. Cooking and baking has always been my passion.
Cookbooks, food network etc I love anything that has to do with the kitchen. Well not totally true..... I don't particularly like the washing up after part but I do it anyway.
One fine summer day* in Nigeria many years ago when I was 13 years old I decided to I wanted to make some ice cream for my family.
Someone had told me ice cream was made from egg whites and evaporated milk so I set to work with the little mixer my parents bought me to go on with my kitchen experiments.
* There is no such thing as 'fine summer day' in Nigeria. Nigeria has a lovely weather almost all year.
I whisked the egg whites didn't even know what soft peak or stiff peak was. It was neither. I added sugar and the evaporated milk.
It tasted like the melted part of the Ice cream sold by Mr Biggs. The difference was that Mr Biggs' was creamy but mine was soupy. I knew it was a fail but I didn't give up.
Many years later, and many food network episodes and YouTube food videos later I finally got it right after discovering the magical world of no churn ice cream.
What is no churn ice cream and what does no churn mean?
Churning is a process in which the paddle in an ice cream makes turns ice cream base (custard) gradually breaking up ice crystals as they form till it thickens to form a frozen dessert.
No churn simply means no ice cream machine. When ice cream is made without an ice cream machine, it is a no churn ice cream.
How to make Ice cream step by step with photos
Summer is fast approaching... lets get summer ready cos we this easy homemade ice cream recipe, summer is about to so much fun.
This recipe is made using my good old no churn ice cream base with just a few ingredients.
Ingredients needed for Homemade Strawberry ice cream
- Fresh Strawberries
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Salt (optional)
Pic 1-3. Prepare the strawberries. I prefer to roast the strawberries because it brings out more flavor and reduces the water content of the strawberries there fore adds less water to my strawberry ice cream. (less water makes for a creamier ice cream)
Pic 4 & 5 blend roasted strawberries
Pic 6 Add Sweetened condensed to blended strawberries
Pic 7 Mix in the condensed with a spoon
Pic 8 Add salt and vanilla and mix
Pic 9 Begin to whip cream
Pic 10 - 12 add strawberry mixture to whipped cream and fold in to combine
Pic 13-15 transfer to loaf pan, seal ice cream with cling film freeze and enjoy!
How to roast strawberries (how to cook strawberries in the oven)
- Wash the strawberries, drain and cut them into quarters.
- Add about 1 tablespoon sugar to strawberries and mix (this helps reduce the tartness but is an optional step if your strawberries are really sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spread the strawberries on a baking sheet. Bake strawberries for 40 - 45 mins. Bring tray out half way through cooking time to stir the strawberries.
How to make Strawberry ice cream without fresh strawberries
Some times you might not have strawberries at home or you may live in a country where strawberries are not easily accessible. Don't worry you can still make Strawberry ice cream with any one of these ingredients listed below
- Strawberry flavored gelatin. If you make a lot of strawberry flavored deserts like I do, this 2 lb jaris good buy otherwise buy the standard3 oz packets
- Strawberry fruit powder
- Freeze dried strawberries.
if you can't find strawberry powder ( freeze dried strawberry powder) you can buy the freeze dried strawberries and blend it your self. I like to use Strawberry flavored gelatin when making Neapolitan ice cream because I like it to blend in with the smooth texture of the vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream.
How to freeze Homemade Ice cream
Homemade ice cream can get freezer burns (formation of ice crystals on the ice cream surface because the of contact air while freezing)
Freezer burns on meats and vegetables look different from freezer burns on ice cream. On ice cream it makes the ice cream icy and it loses it Creaminess.
To prevent this from happening, seal the ice cream with cling film expel as much air as possible by making sure the film is touching the ice cream.
Other fruit ice cream flavors to try
- Avocado Ice cream (Avocados are fruits too)
Did you find the post helpful, leave me a comment and share the link to this post with your family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.
this so others too you
Click here to Pin this homemade strawberry ice cream for later.
Homemade Strawberry Ice cream
- Hand or Stand mixer
- 2 lbs fresh ripe strawberries hulled and quartered
- 2 cups cold Heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Roast the Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Mix strawberries with sugar and spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 to 45 mins. Bring out the baking sheets and stir the strawberries half way through baking time.
- Transfer to a clean bowl and blend with an immersion blender if you want some chunks of strawberries in your ice cream (l love that) but if you prefer a smoother consistency, use a food processor or blender and blend till smooth.
Make the stawberry base
- Mix the puréed strawberries with sweetened condensed milk then add vanilla extract and salt.
- Set aside to cool. Pop into the refrigerator for about 15 mins to cool faster.
Make ice cream
- Pour heavy cream into a bowl and whip till stiff peaks form. It can take up to 6 mins depending on the speed of your hand or stand mixer. Be careful not to over whip the cream or you will be making butter.
- Fold cooled strawberry mixture into the whipped cream to well combined.
- Transfer ice cream into a loaf pan or a 2 quart ice cream container. Seal with cling film making sure the film touches the surface of the ice cream
- Freeze for up to 6 hrs or overnight
- You can cook the strawberries on the stove top if you prefer. Depending on the texture of ice cream you like, you can do either of two things, blend strawberries till smooth, then cook till it's reduced or you cook strawberries on low heat with a tablespoon of water till it softens and breaks down, then blend after cooking.
- A cold stainless steel bowl will make your heavy cream whip up faster. Pop your stainless steel bowl and whisk attachment into the freezer at least 15-20 mins before you need to whip the cream.
- Make sure you fold in the strawberry purée mix into the whipped cream carefully, so you don't deflate your nicely whipped cream.
- Covering the ice cream tightly with cling film helps to prevent formation of ice crystals and freezer burn.
- Once ice cream is brought out of the freezer, it takes about 2 mins to get scoopable