As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Fish has never been my favorite source of protein. I totally can’t stand the smell. My friends from the riverine areas of Nigeria keep saying that it’s that odor that actually makes the fish and that it’s what they love in a fish dish.The sad thing is that I know I am missing out of a healthy and delicious source of protein. But I can’t help it ?. Watching people enjoy fish makes me want so much to enjoy it but I can’t ? the few times I have tried it in the past has always ended in disaster because…… let me not gross you out with details.
It’s worse if it’s fresh fish pepper soup or boiled fish I wouldn’t even dare but I can manage it if it’s fried or grilled but with loads of pepper to go with it. Sometimes I wonder if it’s genetic ( of course not) because my dad and some of my uncles can’t stand fish as well. Since I don’t really care for fish, it’s not a popular feature in the food menu in my home but I do make it occasionally so as not to deprive my poor husband and kids of the joy of fish.
I prefer to use croaker because it’s a salt water fish which is said to have less of the fishy smell.
Fresh water fish like cat fish hmm…. omg that is a story for another day.
To help with the fishy smell, one of my friends told me lemon helps to take away the fishy smell so I never miss marinating my fish with lemon ?. Is there a difference? Yeah …. some.
Ok, let’s get this ‘fishy’ business over and done with ?
- 1500g ;about 12 pieces )Fish washed, cleaned properly. Scales removed
- Marinating mix (juice of 1 lemon, 2 Tbsp ground pepper, 1 Tbsp onion powder, 2 Tbsp bouillon powder.)
- Oil for frying
- Put the fish in a zip lock bag.
- Pour in the marinating mix
- Seal Ziplock bag and shake and massage the mix into the fish.
- Put in the fridge for an hour
- After an hour, deep fry on medium high heat till golden brown.
- Enjoy as is, Pair with Rice dishes or add to stews and soups.