As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This Stewed coconut milk sauce was born one of the days I was making my oven cooked coconut jollof rice. I can’t over emphasize how I love cooking jollof rice or coconut rice in the oven. It reduces the risk of burning. if you totally for the smoky flavored jollof aka party rice I have that on the blog too. While preparing the sauce for the coconut jollof rice, I tasted this yummy creamy goodness. I was like?…. this tastes really good and would definitely taste heavenly with hot white rice.
This delicious fast prep stewed coconut milk sauce is a must try. Easy to make and bursting with coconutty flavor. YUM!! Click To Tweet
I made a mental note to make it as a stand alone next time with some added ingredients and adjustments and boy I am glad I did. This yummy creamy goodness definitely didn’t disappoint. Try it and you will see. Enjoy!!
Till next time,
Did you enjoy this Stewed Coconut milk sauce recipe please consider rating it. Would love to hear your thoughts on this recipe so join the conversation below at the comments section.
OR You can get weekly recipes sent to your inbox for FREE.
One of our readers made this sauce and tagged us on instagram look what she has to say about it.
@onlyuzo made this and enjoyed it so much she took a picture and tagged us on Instagram. Thank you[/caption]
Stewed coconut milk sauce
- 8 chicken thighs or drumsticks (precooked)
- 2 Tbsp organic tomato paste
- ½ medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- ½ medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 400ml can of coconut milk ( roughly 2 cups)
- ¼ - ½ cup vegetable oil or coconut oil for extra coconutty flavor
- 1½ cup Chicken stock
- 1 habanero or scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 stock cube/ salt to taste
- 2 sticks of spring onions
- Heat up oil in a saucepan and sauté onion till fragrant. Scoop in the tomato paste and stir fry for about a minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock and coconut milk. Cook till stew thickens to your desired consistency. Remember to stir continuously or at close intervals to prevent burning.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add your the cooked chicken pieces, allow simmer low heat for another minute to absorb the flavors.
- Turn off heat then toss in the chopped bell peppers and spring onions and the sauce is ready. Delicious and pretty to behold.
- Serve with hot white rice or use as a dip for bread. Hmmmm.... so yummy
- The Use of Tomato paste in this recipe makes for a faster prep. You can use 2- 3 Tbsp of my Stew base.
- You can use freshly blended red bell peppers in that case you will need two large red bell peppers. You will need to cook it down a bit in the oil to get a thickened consistency before adding the meat stock and coconut milk.
- You can make this dish vegetarian simply by swapping the chicken stock with vegetable stock. This dish can easily be made with tofu or any other vegetarian meat substitute.