This easy spaghetti stir fry with whole wheat pasta is one of the easiest and tasty recipes you will make for dinner. It gets ready with al dente pasta perfection in less than 30 mins and requires a few ingredients which include vegetables. Have you tried whole grain pasta before? This recipe is a must make if you haven't.
Spaghetti Stir fry Noodles
Before trying out whole grain pasta recipes, I used to think whole wheat tasted horrible and that dear friend, is stereotyping which should never be a habit in any sphere of life, least of all food. My family would definitely have missed out on a healthier version of pasta before even trying.
Al dente Meaning.
If you are wondering what Al dente Pasta means, I am happy to share that with you. The word is actually used for rice as well. It's an Italian word which means cooking pasta till firm to the bite and not soft and mushy.
Most times you achieve al dente pasta perfection in just 8 mins depending on the type of pasta you are cooking. If you cook pasta often or like to know how to make the perfect pasta, you should check out my how to cook the perfect pasta guide.
Ingredients needed to make Spaghetti stir fry.
- Whole grain spaghetti
- Hot dogs which you can substitute with any protein of choice including plant based hot dog franks to make this a vegan meal.
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Green and yellow bell peppers
- Chicken Bouillon
How to cook Stir fry Spaghetti.
While Spaghetti is cooking, start making your stir fry.
Mix drained pasta into the stir fry mix till well incorporated. Serve immediately or store when cool.
Make ahead Instructions and how to store.
This recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead for meal planning and store in portioned bowls in the refrigerator for mid week dinner.
For meal planning and storage, let the spaghetti cool completely before storing in the refrigerator. Left overs should be stored in the refrigerator as well.
Quick Recipe Notes and Tips
- Cooking Pasta to al dente perfection is the best way to make pasta stir fries. Make sure to check out my post on how to cook the perfect pasta for useful tips.
- I like to prepare my stir fry while the pasta is boiling. This way the stir fry gets ready before the pasta. And I get to mix it in after draining.
Other Pasta Recipes to try
- Kale Jollof Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Macaroni Stir fry
- Slumguillon (Beefaroni Recipe)
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and meatballs
- Quick canned Tuna Recipe
Back to my question. Have you tried whole grain pasta before? (By the way whole grain pasta and whole wheat pasta are the same) My family did enjoy it and didn't even notice the difference.
So... if you enjoyed this recipe or found the post helpful, share it with your family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group so everyone can enjoy it too.
Did you enjoy this recipe or found it helpful, please leave me a comment and share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite facebook group.
*This Recipe was first published in September 2017. It has been updated to include a recipe card, more tips, and answers to frequently asked questions.
Stir fry spaghetti with whole wheat pasta
- 1 lb (450g) whole grain spaghetti
- 1 lb (450g) mixed vegetables frozen or fresh (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp crushed garlic
- ¾ cup cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp of salt for boiling spaghetti
- 5 hot dog franks (chopped)
- Salt/ bouillon powder to taste
- Heat up oil in a sauce pan and sauté the onion till fragrant and tender, add the crushed garlic and chopped hot dogs, stir for about 2 mins then add the thawed frozen or fresh vegetables. Season to taste.
- Continue to stir fry veggies to prevent burning until moisture evaporates
- Bring 4-6 quarts of water to the boil, add 2 Tbsp of salt to the water.
- Add the spaghetti and cook for about 8 mins stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- When Spaghetti is cooked to al dente perfection, drain the spaghetti but don't rinse. Mix Spaghetti with sir fry till well combined.
- Serve and Enjoy.