A Nigerian sandwich is one of the easiest sandwich recipes you will make. Requires just 4 ingredients which include the bread, a kids favorite that can be served for breakfast, packed in their lunch box or served as appetizers in a party. Learn how to make this easy sardine sandwich recipe with easy step by step photos included that brings back fond memories from my childhood. The step by step photos will get you making this is no time.
Table of Contents
Homemade Nigerian sandwich Recipe.
Sandwiches are always a delightful and easy breakfast recipe to make. This particular one brings back fond memories from my childhood that's why I love to make them. It is quite different from the American sardine sandwich which is made with cream cheese and other ingredients.
Anyone can make this breakfast sandwich so get the kids involved, they would have fun not just while munching on it but also while making it.
Ingredients needed to make the easiest breakfast sandwich with sardines.
- Sardines - any nice sardine would work I have used Season Sardines and Titus Sardines (which is the one we use in Nigeria)
- Sliced bread
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
How to make a Nigerian Sandwich Step by Step
This is an overview with step by step photos. Full recipe details in printable card below. Be sure to watch the slideshow to out it all in perspective.
Pic 1-3; mix filling ingredients, spread it on bread
Pic 4-6; cover bread, cut off crusts and cut into desired shapes.
Make ahead instructions and how to store.
These sandwiches can be made up to 24 hrs ahead. After making them, cover tightly with cling film. Leave in a cool area in your kitchen counter or in the refrigerator.
How to cut sandwiches.
There are various ways to cut your sandwiches, you can cut them in squares, triangles or little rectangles like I did in my cucumber sandwiches recipe. You will love this detailed post on how to cut sandwiches.
Quick Recipe notes and tips
- You can swap out the butter for mayonnaise it will still taste amazing.
- The cayenne pepper in this recipe is optional. You can skip it or adjust upwards or downwards depending on the level of your heat tolerance.
- I removed the crusts after filling the bread, but You can remove the crust before spreading the filling on the bread. If you do the latter, you can make some homemade bread crumbs with it.
- Cover the sandwiches with cling film before serving so they don't dry out from exposure to air.
Frequently Asked Questions
See instructions in this post on how to make sandwiches with sardines.
This is different from this nigerian Sardine sandwich. To make that you need a sandwich toaster. Butter the outsides of the bread slices, place one slice into the sandwich toaster, buttered side down, pour in some beaten eggs onto the bread, cover with second slice, then cover sandwich toaster let the bread toast till eggs are cooked.
Did you enjoy this recipe or found it helpful, please leave me a comment and share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite facebook group.
This Recipe was first published in March 2017. It has been updated to include better images, a recipe card and answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
Nigerian Sandwich Recipe
- 10 slices of bread
- 1 Stick salted butter
- 1 can sardines in oil
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Assemble your ingredients
- Mix the butter and sardines together in plate and mash it up till smooth.
- Add the pepper flakes and mix in.
Method 1: Fill Sandwiches before removing crust
- Spread filling on one side of bread, then cover with another slice.
- Repeat process until all slices are filled and covered.
- Cut off the crusts and into desired shapes. I prefer the triangles for breakfast purposes mini squares for appetizer bites.
Method 2: Remove the crust before filling
- With a knife, remove the crusts from the bread 2 at a time until all is done.
- With a butter knife spread the sardine mix evenly on one side of the bread and cover with another slice.
- When all the sandwiches have been made, cut into desired shapes.
- Serve with some fruits and milk for breakfast. Enjoy