As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This Easy Homemade Bread crumbs is our feature for today’s Basic Cooking Series (BCS). Bread crumbs are used in many recipes that require some form of coating before frying such as scotch eggs, chicken nuggets and many more or as a filler for recipes like meatballs or meatloaf.
You can buy it in the store but I prefer to make mine because it’s easy to make so why not. Especially when I have made some Sandwiches and I have a lot of crust available. Nothing is put to waste Biko.
You don’t have to wait till you make sandwiches. You can cut up bread slices and use it too. Another reason to make these easy homemade breadcrumbs is the fact that you are absolutely sure it’s just breadcrumbs in it. And for me it’s a way to use up stale bread ( not moldy ones please)
Bread crumbs can be made with any bread you like. In this recipe I used both whole wheat bread and white bread. You can use either or you can mix both your choice. It’s that versatile. ? You don’t even need an oven if don’t have one. Just toast up some bread ? and blend. If you don’t have a blender or food processor no problem too. Just toast up your bread till it’s crispy but not burnt. then allow to cool. Put in s freezer bag and roll over it with a rolling pin until it’s all crushed. See? So you tell me now why you won’t make this.
Easy Homemade Breadcrumbs
- 20 slices Bread (white or whole wheat)
- Preheat oven 350ºF/180ºC
- Tear the bread up into pieces
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Spread the bread pieces on the sheet.
- Put in the oven and allow to bake for 10-15 mins. Watch closely because it burns easily.
- Allow to cool for 5 mins
- Blend to a fine consistency with a food processor.
- Transfer into a ziplock, seal and store in an air tight container
- Stale bread not bad bread is better. If you use fresh bread, it may take a little longer to get it crispy.
- if you don't have an oven, a toaster would work.
- if you don't have a blender or food processor, put well toasted bread in a freezer bag , seal and crush to crumbs with a rolling pin.
- Half way through baking, rotate the pan.
- If you intend using the crust of the bread, add some bread to the crusts too.
Do you use breadcrumbs in any of your recipes? Were you about to make a recipe that required breadcrumbs and you found that you were out of some breadcrumbs? What recipes have you been wanting to make? Please share in the comments below. Did you like today’s post, please share with family and friends. Thanks for visiting our kitchen today.