As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This oxtail pepper soup recipe is absolutely worth your while. It’s so easy to make and delicious too. Hubby totally loves it. Even the kiddos jump in when it’s not so spicy. Now about the spice thing. Hmmmm hubby and I are spicy people. The hot kind of spicy. We are grooming the kiddos to love hot and spicy too and believe me they are not doing badly ??. Nigerian Pepper soup is a kind of light soup that is actually broth or stock that has been spiced up with certain spices and herbs. Pepper soup is meant to be watery and not thick.Spicy meets delicious.... Nigerian oxtail pepper soup. Click To Tweet
I have a couple more pepper soup recipes here on the blog. My Chicken Pepper soup and my mouth watering goat meat pepper soup which is a must try. You may wonder why but I tell you each one tastes different and is in a world of its own. The protein used determines each unique flavor. You have to try them all.. I hope you get the chance to give this recipe a try then you would totally see the world through my eyes ??? ok maybe not, but somewhat.If you are not for hot and spicy no problems, you could tune down the hotness to your liking. It won’t affect the flavorful blend of this dish.
Sooo give this a try and don’t forget to let me know how it went. I love to hear your thoughts. Remember to share the post with family and friends. Let’s get cooking!!!
Nigerian Oxtail Pepper Soup
- 1500 g oxtail (washed and cut up)
- 1 medium onion (chopped or 2 Tbsp dried chopped onions)
- salt/ bouillon to taste
- 1 Tbsp Pepper Soup spice
- 3 Tbsp coarsely ground crayfish
- 1/2 Tbsp dry ground camaroun pepper or 2 habenero pepper chopped.
- 1 sprig fresh scent leaves or parsley
- Transfer washed oxtail to a pot, cover oxtail completely with water, then start cooking
- Add chopped onions and salt to taste.
- When the meat begins to boil, Add coarsely ground crayfish
- If the oxtail was cut in large chunks, When the oxtail softens scoop out and cut into smaller bite size pieces. Skip this step if the oxtail tail was already cut in small pieces.
- Add pepper soup spice and pepper and taste for salt. Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Cook till the oxtail is done. Reduce heat, add the chopped scent leaves allow to simmer for a minute and turn off heat.
- Serve warm. Enjoy ?
- A pressure cooker will reduce your cook time if you have one since the readiness of this dish is dependent on how fast the oxtail cooks.
- Some oxtail get softer faster than others. Please bear that in mind as you cook.
- You can include add-ins like tripe and beef etc Add the tripe when you start cooking the oxtail and the beef half way through the cooking.
- You can use dry parsley flakes to substitute fresh scent leaves or parsley leaves.
- The heat on this dish is a matter of choice. adjust to your preference.
- Remember to top up with water as the meat cooks because some will evaporate. Pepper soup should have a watery consistency so as you top up with water, ensure the end product is tasty by adjusting the seasoning accordingly so you don't end up with a bland tasting soup.