As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This Easy African Base Sauce is so simple yet sooo versatile. You might ask So what is a Base Sauce? A Base Sauce is simply a sauce that can be used as a Base or a starter with the aim of elevating the flavor profile of a meal. I use this sauce for almost any dish I cook.
With just 3 ingredients c’mon! it doesn’t get easier than that, does it? ? Forgive me I am just in love with this new emoji. I like to call it my ultimate sauce or the onion-pepper meddley sauce. Whatever you choose, mark my words it is so yummy and particularly enhances the flavors in African porridge recipes like Asaro, unripe plantain porridge etc.Addition of this sauce automatically takes your porridge recipe to a different level Click To Tweet
This base sauce is the secret ingredient in most African porridge recipes Click To Tweet
It works magic in beans Porridge Recipes. If you don’t like beans porridge then this sauce will definitely make you change your mind. If you haven’t tried any of my beans recipes, this is the time to try this one.
Besides its use in enhancing the flavors of various porridge dishes mentioned above, It can be eaten as a sauce to compliment meals like boiled or roasted yams and plantains. I told you it’s versatile. Honestly it totally makes the difference.
It is so simple… apologies for the repetition but really it is. And…… like I said it just needs 3 ingredients or maybe 4 if you include the salt ?. This sauce stores very well. You can make a large quantity ahead and freeze in divided portions to use for your beans and other porridge recipes. There are two ways to enjoy this delicious sauce just head over to the recipe and find out how.
Have you tried anything like this or similar. Would love to hear all about it. So please drop your comment below. Remember to Share with friends and family. You can’t leave without a little gift from me so head over here and Get your free eCookbook then come hang with us on our Facebook group where we discuss everything food ?
Easy African Base Sauce
- 1/2 cup Palm oil
- 4 medium Onions chopped
- 3 - 4 habenero peppers chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt / bouillon powder to taste
- Heat up the palm oil just enough to cause a sizzle when the chopped onion is added. ( about 30 secs)
- Pour chopped Onions and pepper into the heated oil.
- Add the salt and stir. Taste and adjust accordingly.
- Allow it to cook for about 5 mins or until the onions softens and becomes translucent whichever comes first.
- Turn off heat and allow to cool.
- Your sauce is ready to use in whichever delicious awesomeness you choose. Enjoy ?
If you want to store the sauce in refrigerator for later use
- Let the sauce cool down, then blend all ingredients in a blender ( Do not add water )
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or Store in the freezer if you intend to keep for a longer period.