As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
With this Nigerian Tomato free stew recipe I can boldly say NO TOMATOES? NO PROBLEM…. Yes! It is very possible to make our Nigerian stew without tomatoes. Tomato-less Just like it is possible to make it Pepper-less lol. But since I am a hot and spicy ? ?? kind a girl, I would rather have a Tomatoless Stew than a pepperless stew Biko.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe Anyway the reason for this post is because of the Tomato crisis is my home country Nigeria. The price of fresh tomatoes have sky rocketed and is now gold. The second reason is to encourage everyone that no condition in life is permanent. If you find yourself in a difficult situation, find a way to make your current situation bearable until the storm passes. the power of positive thinking.
As the saying goes ‘ if Life gives you lemons, make some lemonade’ Therefore if tomatoes become gold, ditch them and face bell peppers until further notice.
[bctt tweet=”My dear people if tomatoes become gold, you can make your beloved stew tomato-free. ” username=”mydiaspokitch”]
Since stew is a staple in Nigeria, you can imagine the chaos going on. My mom in law told me ginger has come to the rescue and that some people are making stews with cucumbers ??
My mom who doesn’t like using Tomato paste in stews has started using that in her stews. Oh well it’s not all a story of woes we can make our staple Nigerian stew happen but this time without the tomatoes ? ?. After all variety is the spice of life.
[clickToTweet tweet=”‘No Tomatoes ?? No Problem…. Try this” quote=”‘No Tomatoes ? ??? No Problem…. Try this”]
Yes we are dithching the tomatoes till they become pocket friendly again.
Let’s get started.
PS: This recipe post has been updated with better photos for your visual enjoyment?
My Nigerian Tomato-free Stew
- 6 Large Red bell peppers ( washed, deseeded, and cut up to be roasted)
- 1 Medium Green bell pepper Chopped
- 3 Medium Red onions (2 to be roasted and 1 to be chopped.)
- 4 Cups Meat stock
- 3 lbs Meat of choice Precooked and fried
- 1-1/2, Cup Cooking oil
- 2 habanero Peppers ( to be blended)
- 1/2 Tbsp Curry powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Thyme
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb ginger
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Roast red bell peppers, onions, garlic and ginger for 30 mins. Allow to cool then blend with fresh habanero peppers.
- Heat up Oil and sauté the chopped onions till tender. Pour in the roasted peppermix puree and fry for about 2 mins, then pour in the meat stock. Add the curry and thyme. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Allow to cook for further 10 mins or until it reaches your desired thickness.
- Pour in the precooked meats and chopped green bell pepper and stir. Lower heat and allow to simmer for 2 mins. Turn off heat.
- Leave pot slightly open to let steam off. Serve with Rice, boiled yam or plantain.