These Chocolate Chip cookies are soft in the center with crunchy edges, the perfect treat to get your chocolate groove on ?
This is a chocolate chip cookie recipe I am very proud of and excited to share it with you. I have tried lots of chocolate chip recipes and I have finally found one I like. The perfect mix of everything nice.
What are chocolate chip cookies?
Chocolate chip cookies are America's no 1 cookie in my book. I mean just like Mac and cheese chocolate chip cookies are an American staple. So what are they and what's the hype? They are little cookies filled with bits of chocolate goodness in form of chocolate chips or chunks.
So..... How do you Make Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Chocolate chip cookies are made with your regular cookie ingredients but in varied amounts then it's loaded with chocolates bits in it YUM! They can be chewy or crunchy depending on how you like yours..
Tips to get your chocolate chip cookie right!
First you would need to decide if you want your chocolate chip cookie soft and chewy or crunchy.
For Chewy chocolate chip cookies
- An extra egg yolk, adds to the texture of a chewy chocolate chip cookie.
- The addition of corn starch adds to the soft texture
- Melted butter also helps with texture because because you can't incorporate so much air when mixing melted butter with the sugar.
- If you want an even 'chewy-er' (is that even a word lol?) cookie use the lower limit of the baking time.
For Crunchy Chocolate chip cookies
- If you want your chocolate chip cookie crunchy, do not use the extra egg yolk
- Bake a minute more than the stipulated baking time.
- The cookie will come out soft but gardens as it cools.
Chocolate chip cookies common questions and answers
Do I have to use the egg yolk?
No you don't have to use the extra egg yoke but if your truly want a chewy chocolate chip cookie I would strongly recommend it.
Do I have to use corn starch?
No you don't have to use corn starch to make a good chocolate chip cookie. I prefer to adding it because it makes the cookie
Can I freeze the Cookie dough?
Yes you can. Scoop out the dough by tablespoonful place them on a baking sheet then freeze till firm. Transfer frozen cookie dough into a freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ever uuu are ready to bake it. Transfer to a cookie sheet and let thaw a bit on the counter then bake. You can also freeze the baked cookies. Simply let them cook them pack them in freezer bag in smaller batches and freeze.
What kind of chocolate should I use?
You can use any chocolate you like. Semi sweet, milk chocolate. Dark chocolate or unsweetened. You can either use chocolate chips, chocolate chunks or cut up regular chocolate bars.
Armed with these tips and tricks? Hope you get to give this yum cookie a try. And if you do you can take a picture and tag @mydiasporakitchen on Instagram I would love to see your yummy creations.
Chewy Chocolate chip cookie
- ¾ cup butter melted then allowed to get to room temperature
- ¾ brown sugar packed
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2-½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ Tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Mix flour, cornstarch, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk butter and sugar together ( make sure the butter has got to room temp to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- Add the vanilla flavor, the egg and egg yolk, then whisk till well combined.
- Mix in the dry ingredients till well combined ( do not over mix ).
- Fold in ¾ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Mold the dough into one ball and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Bring out refrigerated dough drop dough by a heaping tablespoonful, placing 3 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with either parchment paper or silicon mat.
- Press down Cookie dough lightly stick on more chocolate chips on the top of the cookie
- Bake for 15 -18 mins.
- Bring out from oven, stick on some more chocolate chips while cookie is still hot.
- Allow cookie cool on cookie sheet for about 8 mins then transfer to the cooking rack and let it cool completely.