As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
A delicious oxtail stew is a keeper anytime. Tasty, with a hint of spice and can be served with a variety of side dishes. The trick to this easy Nigerian style oxtail stew is roasted peppers and it tastes so good. Looking for a great oxtail stew recipe? Let me show just how easy it is to make African oxtail stew at home.
Roasting the heck out of your peppers for stews is a game changer try it ? Click To Tweet
Oxtail Stew Recipe.
From my introduction you would have noticed that this isn’t the Jamaican Oxtail stew but rather the African (Nigerian) Oxtail stew. I would be sharing the Jamaican version soon enough so stay tuned and sign up so you don’t miss the fun.
Are you tired of chicken in all your meals?, switch things up and use oxtail for your Nigerian stews and soups.
What makes this Nigerian/African Oxtail stew different?
Roasting the bell peppers, tomatoes, onions and habanero peppers made a tasty difference to this recipe.
I have never roasted peppers before making this oxtail stew but after trying it, I have never done it any other way.
Roasting bell peppers is so easy and I love the hands off effect. Put it in the oven set, set your timer and leave. You literally leave, (not travel far though 😊) but you need not worry your tomato purée with burn on the stove top and no continuous stirring
Bonus: You can roast ahead, blend, and freeze
How to make the best Nigerian oxtail stew with ingredients list
Find the complete recipe in the recipe card at the bottom of this page. This is just an overview with step by step photos.
This is an easy recipe for oxtail stew and requires just a few ingredients which are listed below
- Pre cooked Oxtail
- Red bell peppers
- Green bell pepper
- Herbs and spices
- Spread the washed and cut red bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and habanero peppers on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for up to 40 mins, stirring half way through. Blend after it cools.
- Add purée to meat stock and bring to boil. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- Add the cooked oxtail to the stew low heat to simmer
- Fry onions in oil till soft, then pour everything into the pot of simmering sauce and stir.
- Cook till oil comes to surface
Other African stew recipes to try
For tips on to how roast peppers, check out my post on how to roast peppers for stews.If you haven't tried my oxtail stew made with roasted peppers, then you have been missing some. Head over to the blog and enjoy. Click To Tweet
Have you tried cooking stew with roasted peppers. Did you enjoy it? I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Kindly leave me a comment below.
Nigerian Roasted Peppers Oxtail stew
- 1150 g Oxtails (precooked)
- 6 large Red bell Peppers (washed, deseeded and set aside for roasting)
- 3 Fresh Tomatoes (to be roasted)
- 2 habenero peppers (to be roasted)
- 4 medium onions (2 to be roasted and 2 chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- salt / bouillon powder to taste
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 cups meat stock (or enough to water down the puréed roasted peppers.)
- 1½ cups cooking oil of your choice (canola vegetable, coconut oil etc)
Roasting the peppers
- Preheat oven to 450ºF
- Place cleaned and cut up bell peppers, tomatoes pepper and onions in a baking sheet.
- Transfer to one and roast for about 30 mins
- Turn off heat and allow to cool a bit, then blend to a smooth paste. You can see exactly how I do it in this post.
Cooking the stew
- Heat up oil in a sauce pan, add the chopped onions and crushed garlic, sauté till onions looks transluscent
- Add the blended roasted peppers, curry powder and thyme. Then stir fry for about 2 mins
- Add the meat stock, stir well. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Lower the heat and bring to boil. When the stew begins to boil, dump in the cooked oxtail.
- Stir and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes on low heat. This allows the oxtail absorb the flavor of the stew Please do not leave unattended. It would burn.
- Finally toss in the chopped green peppers, stir and turn off heat. Allow to cool a bit
- Serve warm with Rice, boiled yam, Plantains, beans.. Your choice.?