As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This Nigerian roasted peppers oxtail stew is a keeper anytime any day. The trick is in the roasted peppers. they are so good. Happy Intl womens day to the ladies in the house. And to the bobos in the house well…. extend the love to yours wives, moms and sisters. This Oxtail stew is sure one with a difference. Hmmmmm…. No one ever told me the aroma of peppers roasting in the oven smells so good and I mean sooo good.
Roasting the heck out of your peppers for stews is a game changer try it ? Click To Tweet
I didn’t know because first Time pepper roaster here ?. I have heard a lot about roasting peppers so today I decided to give it a try and believe me I didn’t regret it. It’s so easy and saves you time. Well not in the real sense of the word but it saves you the headache of constantly stirring the boiling pepper to prevent it from burning. One good thing is that you can do this ahead of time and freeze for later use.
When you live in the US you can tire of chicken quickly so I decided today would be ‘no chicken stew day’ ha ha. Hubby loves oxtail so why not…. I am not a fan though. For me it’s cow feet all the way. Couldn’t resist throwing some in ? . Who’s with me on that one?
Find out more on how I roast my peppers. It makes your life and mine easier. Try it and thank me laterIf you haven't tried my oxtail stew made with roasted peppers, then you have been missing some. Head over to the blog and enjoy. Click To Tweet
Nigerian Roasted Peppers Oxtail stew
- 1150 g Oxtails (precooked)
- 6 large Red bell Peppers (washed, deseeded and set aside for roasting)
- 3 Fresh Tomatoes (to be roasted)
- 2 habenero peppers (to be roasted)
- 4 medium onions (2 to be roasted and 2 chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- salt / bouillon powder to taste
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 cups meat stock (or enough to water down the puréed roasted peppers.)
- 1½ cups cooking oil of your choice (canola vegetable, coconut oil etc)
Roasting the peppers
- Preheat oven to 450ºF
- Place cleaned and cut up bell peppers, tomatoes pepper and onions in a baking sheet.
- Transfer to one and roast for about 30 mins
- Turn off heat and allow to cool a bit, then blend to a smooth paste. You can see exactly how I do it in this post.
Cooking the stew
- Heat up oil in a sauce pan, add the chopped onions and crushed garlic, sauté till onions looks transluscent
- Add the blended roasted peppers, curry powder and thyme. Then stir fry for about 2 mins
- Add the meat stock, stir well. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Lower the heat and bring to boil. When the stew begins to boil, dump in the cooked oxtail.
- Stir and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes on low heat. This allows the oxtail absorb the flavor of the stew Please do not leave unattended. It would burn.
- Finally toss in the chopped green peppers, stir and turn off heat. Allow to cool a bit
- Serve warm with Rice, boiled yam, Plantains, beans.. Your choice.?
Have you tried cooking stew with roasted peppers. Did you enjoy it? I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Kindly share in the comments below. Did you try this recipe?Tell me all about it too.