This Easy Spicy Barbecue Chicken recipe is one recipe I hold dear to my heart. It takes me wayyy back to my internship year when my friends and colleagues held a bridal shower in my honor.
These Strong and beautiful women took out their time to spoil me a week before my wedding. It was a big deal for me because most of them I had only know for less than a year, because we all met in our internship year at Lagos University Teaching Hospital Idiaraba. ( LUTH )
We came from different medical schools across Nigeria. Though I grew up in Lagos, I trained at Abia State University Teaching Hospital (ABSUTH) Some trained at LUTH, Maiduguri, University of Portharcourt Teaching Hospital ( UPTH) and so on. We bonded in our quest to serve humanity in our own little way. It was hectic but we sure did have fun.
Whoosh!!! That was over ten years ago.. wow time sure does fly by. Some of us have lost contact over the years but many of us are still friends till date practicing in different specialties in Medicine. Sadly this recipe was given to me by one of the ladies with whom I have lost contact. I think her name is Dr TOPE...
Everyone brought something nice to share, jollof rice, cup cakes, meat pies, chicken pies and so on but the homemade tender Barbecue wings TOPE brought was the winner for the night. I enjoyed it so much that I had to corner her for the recipe. I can remember her telling me oh it's so easy just cook the wings then dab with barbecue sauce and ketchup then grill. Thanks Tope dear. I did just that.... loads of times too. Years after my bridal shower, this recipe has remained a hit in my home.
Over the years I have tweaked some things here and there but it's still basically the same recipe. This time I decided to make these with chicken drumsticks instead of wings and they turned out as delicious. Please please make this recipe you will definitely enjoy it. It's a recipe for any celebration. Be it Thanksgiving or Christmas. Besides turkey, this was also on my thanksgiving menu this year. Hope you had a fun Thanksgiving with your family. We indeed have a everything to be thankful for.
PIN! PIN! PIN!
[amazon_link asins='B000PSDMW0,B074C9N6TQ,B002FR2YBE,B00HYR3GOO' template='ProductGrid' store='chichiuguru-20' marketplace='US' link_id='89526329-d48b-11e7-b7e7-4906f430daa1']
Easy Spicy Barbecue Chicken
For the chicken
- 12 chicken drumsticks washed and patted dry with a paper towel
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 2 habanero peppers chopped use one if you want it mild.
- ½ tablespoon Dry oregano
- ½ tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- 2 teaspoon Ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
For the glaze
- ½ cup Barbecue sauce
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or melted butter
- ½ teaspoon bouillon powder
- Place drumsticks in a wide low pot where all the drumsticks can be in one layer, then Pour water till it just covers the drumsticks.
- Add the chopped onions, peppers, spices and herbs. Turn on the heat start cooking.
- Cook till the chicken is cooked through mine took about 25 mins.
- Turn off heat and leave drumsticks in the pot covered for about 2 mins to allow the drumsticks absorb the spices further.
- With a thong gently get out the drumsticks and put them in a colander to Rest and drip.
- Mix all ingredients together and set aside
Putting it all together
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Arrange the drumsticks in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- With a pastry brush, rub the glaze generously on the drumsticks
- Put in the oven and bake for 30 mins.. remember to rotate the tray half way through the baking time.
- After 30 mins, bring out the drumsticks and run the remaining glaze. Slide it back into the oven the turn off heat.
- Allow to rest for about 5 mins. Then serve
[…] you love Chicken Recipes this Barbecue Chicken drumsticks Recipe will knock your socks off. Check out my other book […]