As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This Skillet Nigerian coconut Jollof Rice and meatballs combo is a must try. I love that I can start cooking on the stove top then transfer the whole mix, rice and all straight into the oven and go away for a bit and return and voila!! Dinner was ready. One of the many benefits of cooking with a skillet with my favorite being less pots to wash. There are quite a number of rice recipes on the blog, yes.. that’s on purpose. I just want you to see how easy and versatile cooking can be. You can make any meal yours with the way you cook it. All you need to do is learn the basics then you can tweak it here and there.
Meatballs were my choice of protein here today but by all means you can use any protein you want. to make it vegetarian, you can use tofu as a substitute or any vegetarian meat of choice. This recipe is a winner any time. Have you read my Easy Jollof rice Hack post yet? You need to.
If you still want to make this with Meatballs, not to worry they are super easy make. if you don’t want to make them yourself either, you can buy some in the store no scruples. Like I said, you can use any protein you like so don’t let meatballs hinder you from enjoying this dish.Nigerian coconut jollof rice made super easy in the oven and with a skillet.. I want... Click To Tweet
This is indeed a one pot dish with little or no hassle. Kindly go get your apron lets get cooking biko the children are hungry ?
PS: Have you ever made coconut jollof rice in a skillet or in the oven? Would love to hear all about it. If you enjoyed this post consider rating the recipe and dropping s comment below. Remember to invite your friends and family to the party by sharing this post with them.
PIN! PIN! PIN!
Skillet Nigerian Jollof rice & Meatballs combo
- 2-1/2 cups Basmati rice or any long grain parboiled rice. washed thoroughly and drained
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste diluted with 1/4 cup of water.
- 1 medium onions chopped
- 1 can 400ml coconut milk
- 2 cups of water or meat stock
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Salt / bouillon cubes to taste.
- 20 -25 meat balls
- 2 sticks of spring onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Preheat oven to 350ºF /180ºC
- Heat up oil in a 10/12 in skillet, sauté onions and garlic till onions is translucent.
- Stir in the diluted tomato paste add the bouillon powder or cubes, curry and thyme, then stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour the meat stock and coconut milk in to the skillet. Stir and turn off heat.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. (It should taste slightly salty at this point. But don’t worry the rice will absorb some salt and balance it out.)
- Stir in the rice. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Transfer to the lower rack of oven and bake for 30 - 45 mins or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Allow to stand in oven for another 5 mins, then bring out, sprinkle the chopped spring onions then use a fork and fluff the rice.