Chapman is a very popular mocktail in Nigeria. It's a very refreshing drink that is so easy to make. Chapman drink requires just a few ingredients. Agreed not all are in your pantry except you run a bartending biz but I promise it's worth your trip to the store. Your guests would be raving all about it.
Table of Contents
- 1 Nigerian Chapman Drink Recipe
- 2 Ingredients for Nigerian Chapman
- 3 How to make Nigerian Chapman
- 4 How to make grenadine syrup at home.
- 5 Process shots on how to make Nigerian Chapman.
- 6 Get what you need to make you Nigerian Chapman here.
- 7 What is Angostura bitters?
- 8 Can Children have drinks flavored with Angostura bitters?
- 9 So can children have Chapman drink?
- 10 Nigerian Chapman
Nigerian Chapman Drink Recipe
Chapman drink is said to have originated from the prestigious Ikoyi Club in Lagos Nigeria.
The story says a bartender created this drink for his favorite customer Mr Chapman an expatriate as a farewell to him.
Like I said Chapman requires a few ingredients which are within your reach so no frets.
Ingredients for Nigerian Chapman
All you need to make Nigerian Chapman are
- 2 types of carbonated drinks; orange drink like Fanta, Crush etc. and a clear carbonated drink like seven up or sprite.
- Some cucumber slices
- Lime or lemon slices
- Angostura bitters
- Grenadine syrup
- Black Currant drink like Ribena or Zobo concentrate ( optional)
How to make Nigerian Chapman
Full ingredients and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
It's as easy as mixing all the ingredients together and chilling in the refrigerator.
Where can I buy the specialty ingredients needed to make Chapman?
The two specialty ingredients needed to make this recipe can be bought in your neighborhood liquor store or online.
If you can't access Grenadine syrup where you live, you can substitute it with black currant concentrate, Ribena or Sorrel (Zobo) flower concentrate.
Alternatively you can make some. See below for how to make grenadine syrup at home.Note: Grenadine syrup is made from pomegranates so it's usually reddish. The brand I bought wasn't as red as I wanted so I added some zobo ( sorrel flower) concentrate.
Zobo Concentrate can be the used as a substitute for grenadine syrup for sugar free Keto Chapman.
Yes you can have Chapman on a keto diet but not Chapman made with grenadine syrup or any sugary frizzy drink. You can check out my keto version here.
How to make grenadine syrup at home.
You can make your own grenadine syrup at home too.
- Mix 1 cup of unsweetened 100% pomegranate juice with juice of ½ lemon or 2 Tbsps of unsweetened 100% lemon juice. Add ¼ cup of sugar to the mix.
- Transfer to a saucepan and bring to boil. Allow it boil further for about 3 minutes while stirring till it thickens.
- Allow to cool. Use in your Chapman. Store the rest in the refrigerator for your next batch of Chapman.
- Homemade grenadine syrup can be stored for up to 1 month in the refrigerator.
A good substitute for homemade grenadine syrup is my homemade Zobo Concentrate.
Process shots on how to make Nigerian Chapman.
As you can see, this is one of the easiest drinks to make. Hope I have been able to demystify our Amazing Nigerian Chapman.
Get what you need to make you Nigerian Chapman here.
- Zobo/ Sorrel petal for Zobo concentrate
- Angostura bitters
- Blackcurrant drink ( optional)
- Carbonated Orange drink
- Carbonated clear drink
What is Angostura bitters?
It's usually not taken as is but instead it is used to flavor drinks, sauces and even Salad dressings.
Can Children have drinks flavored with Angostura bitters?
Most beverages that have angostura bitters added to them are usually alcoholic drinks so Children can't have those. Not because of the Angostura bitters itself but because of the alcoholic beverage it is combined with.
So can children have Chapman drink?
This is the recipe we usually share as a family which includes the kids. So Yes I believe children can have Chapman drink since the base of the drink is a NON ALCOHOLIC beverage and the amount of angostura bitters used in the recipe is usually negligible.
You can scale down the quantity of angostura bitters by half or a third if you want but except the Child is allergic to angostura bitters itself I don't think the alcohol content will is high enough to cause any side effect.
*In case of allergies you can leave it out completely.
Welcome back and thanks for following me. Don't forget to hit the share buttons and share with your family and friends ❤️
It's 2019 yayy!! To God be the glory. So here's to a super blessed and amazing 2019. Raising my mug of Chapman to you all!! Cheers!!
Finally let's go make some Chapman!
- 6 cups Carbonated Orange drink like Fanta Miranda or Crush
- 6 cups Carbonated Clear drink like Sprite or 7 up
- 1 medium cucumber thinly Sliced
- 1 lime Sliced
- ¾ cup Grenadine Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Angustura bitters
- ¼ cup black currant drink like Ribena optional see note 1 below
- Ice cubes
- Transfer cucumber slices and lime slices into a clean pitcher
- Pour Carbonated drinks into the pitcher.
- Then pour in the angustura bitters, grenadine syrup and black currant drink ( if using)
- Stir every together. Chill in the refrigerator for up to 2 hrs the serve over Ice