As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This Keto Amala aka low carb Amala would pass for the real deal anytime any day. Amala is one of the popular swallow foods in Nigeria. It is usually eaten with ewedu (jute leave soup) and gbegiri (bean soup), efo riro or any soup of your choice.
I learnt that there are 3 types of Amala please correct me if I am wrong.
- Amala isu made from yams( the yams are peeled, cut up and dried including some of the peels which gives it’s unique dark color. It is then ground into fine powder.)
- Amala Lafun made from cassava undergoes the same process above but without the peel. In the Case the Amala is white. Cassava is also used to produce garri another swallow food. In the case of garri the cassava is soaked and allowed to ferment before processing.
- Amala Ogede: made from unripe plantains. Peeled, dried and ground into powder
Now all these swallow foods are carbs loaded with the least being the Amala Ogede ( plantain flour)
That being said plantain flour won’t make the cut in a ketogenic diet. That’s where the keto Amala comes in and guess what??
Eggplants ??? will give us our keto Amala with some help from psyllium husk powder,
Lets get started?
Prep Time: 5 mins. Yield: 2 servings
Cook Time: 10 mins
How to make Keto Amala with Eggplant.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1-2 Tbsp Psylium husk powder
- Put a cup of water in a sauce pan and bring to boil.
- Wash eggplant and cut up into large cubes.
- Pour eggplant cubes into boiling water and allow to boil for about 5 mins or until the eggplant soft and mushy.
- Turn off heat and pour eggplant into a collander to drain.
- After draining transfer egg plant into a bowl and blend till smooth
- Add the psyllium husks powder and blend in.
- wrap in cling film and allow to rest for about 5 mins to let the psyllium do its job
- Your keto Amala is ready to be eaten with any soup of your choice. How cool is that? Enjoy ?
Had mine today with my yaji-egusi soup find recipe here
er low carb swallow? Check out our cauli-swallow recipe here and cabbage swallow recipe here. If you enjoyed this tutorial please like and share with your friends.
Got questions? We love to hear from you. Drop a few lines in the comments below.
Dont have a question and want to say hello comment below too.