These spicy plantain balls are so Yum!!! It is another small chop recipe that always wows me. I simply love the mix of sweet and savory in this deep fried snack which is very similar to the Nigerian puff puff which is another deep fried snack and Nigerian street food that is more popular than the word popular. The mix of the pepper and plantains takes this puff puff 'wannabe' to a different level.
Don't mind me, its not a puff puff wannabe at all. It's a perfect snack in its own right. Spicy plantain balls / plantain puff puff are super easy make. All that is needed is to follow this simple recipe and your delicious plantain balls/plantain puff puff will be ready in no time. You can also substitute the overripe plantains in this recipe with overripe bananas. If you are using bananas, use 3 bananas and reduce the amount of sugar to 60g because bananas have more sugar. Do you have any over ripe plantains waiting to be thrown away? Wait ✋? don't throw out your over ripe plantains just yet. Give this Spicy plantain balls a try and you will be looking forward to having unripe plantains around you. ?
Spicy Plantain Balls can be enjoyed as a snack, or with corn pudding. ( Pap/Akamu/ogi ) for a nice cosy breakfast with any any topping you want. I love Cinnamon sugar but you can use pancake syrup, melted chocolate. You name it. Your choice. Had mine with pap last Saturday. Were you like me who used to have problems getting pap/akamu right. ?. Your problems are over check out how to make the perfect pap here. With complete measurements.
Did you enjoy this post? Consider rating the recipe and dropping a comment below. Questions and suggestions welcome. Remember to invite your friends and family to our kitchen by sharing this post with them.
| OR Get weekly recipes sent to your inbox for FREE
Prep Time: 60 mins. Yield: 25 balls
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 2 fingers overripe plantains
- 2 ½ cup All purpose flour
- 7g Fast rising yeast ( 1 satchet)
- 80g (⅓ cup) granulated sugar
- 200mls of warm water
- 1 tsp crushed pepper flakes or 1 habanero pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups of Oil (for deep frying)
- Measure out the dry ingredients in a clean bowl and set aside.
- Peel the plantains and put in a bowl,
- Mash with a fork or use a hand blender.
- Add the warm water and start mixing with a spatula
- The dough should be light but not runny.
- Cover with cling film and a kitchen napkin.
- Put in a warm place and allow to rest for 45mins.
- After 45 mins it should have doubled in size. You can see bubbles on the top.
- Remove the cling film and deflate the dough with your hands or a spatula.
- Add the pepper flakes and mix in with a spatula.
- Heat up oil in a deep pan or wok.
- When oil is hot, start frying the dough in balls.
- Fry the plantain balls till golden brown