This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeItYourself #CollectiveBias
Hawaiian sweet rolls are soft, delicious and a crowd pleaser. Everyone's favorite bread rolls. This Hawaiian rolls recipe is one you would want to print out and stick on your refrigerator because it's easy to make and you can bake it yourself anytime you want.
Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
Hawaiian rolls, also known as Hawaiian sweet rolls or Hawaiian bread is a sweet bread with a hint of pineapple flavor to it.
Its soft and spongy texture makes it a favorite for breakfast, dinner or even as an accompaniment to your favorite soups.
My secret ingredient to making this soft and delicious Hawaiian sweet rolls recipe from scratch is Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast. Make this recipe and experience the joy of real #HomemadeDinnerRolls.
Why you should be making this Hawaiian bread at home.
- Hawaiian sweet rolls are easy to make, and with Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast, baking bread at home is a breeze. This is a beginner recipe anyone can make.
- Serving family and friends this holiday with these soft homemade sweet rolls, would make you an even bigger star because sharing homemade deliciousness expresses so much more.
- Using Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast saves you time because it only requires a single rise, which means you don't have to wait for a second rise to bake your Hawaiian sweet rolls. Talk about their 150 years experience, with that you can bake with confidence that whatever you bake would taste amazing.
- This is a recipe you can whip up anytime. You can decide to make it ahead (more on that below)
How to make Hawaiian Sweet Rolls.
There are many ways to make Hawaiian sweet rolls, but I decided to adapt the Fleischmann®️ Yeast Parker house bread rolls recipe to fit my needs because I love that recipe and a Hawaiian rolls recipe is basically a bread base recipe with added pineapple juice or crushed pineapples. Nothing tastes better than homemade bread with Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast.
I usually don't proof my yeast when baking breads. Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast doesn't require that you do but for the purpose of illustrating how yeast works, I would talk a bit on that.
How to proof yeast
The reason why people proof yeast is to be sure the yeast is active. Check that your yeast is not expired if you decide to skip the proofing step because expired yeast is one of the most common reasons why yeast doesn't rise.
Yeast is a living organism that is used in breads to make them rise. Yeast feeds on sugar and excretes carbon dioxide and alcohol as by products.
This process of fermentation is what makes breads rise and gives it its structure and taste.
Before you start, always read the instructions on the yeast packet. That's an important step that shouldn't be forgotten.
Since yeast is a living organism. Liquids that are too hot will kill the yeast. Make sure to use warm water with a temperature of between 120F to 130F.
If you do not have a thermometer, check that the water isn't hot to touch. It should be lukewarm. If it's too hot when it runs on the back of your palm, it's probably too hot for the yeast.
How to make Hawaiian rolls ahead
Mix the dough up to the step where you divide into 12 pieces. Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight or up to 24hrs.
The next day, bring out of refrigerator and resume rising. Bake when doubled in size. ( May take up to 40 mins since the dough may need to come to room temperature then rise)
Hawaiian Rolls Ingredients
- Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast.
- All purpose flour or bread flour
- Butter or oil
- Pineapple juice or crushed pineapple
Are Hawaiian Rolls Vegan?
Hawaiian rolls are not usually vegan, but can easily be adapted to make them vegan.
How to make Vegan Hawaiian rolls
Vegans don't eat eggs and animal products. Just because they don't eat animal products doesn't mean they have to miss out on these delicious Hawaiian sweet rolls.
A good thing about vegan breads is that they really don't taste much different from non-vegan since the effect of the swapped out or omitted ingredients doesn't really make much of a difference.
My point being thatf if you if you have friends and family that are vegan, you don't need to make vegan sweet Hawaiiann rolls recipe and a non-vegan one. You just make one vegan Hawaiian Roll recipe and you are good to go. Use the swap options below to make Vegan Hawaiian rolls.
- This recipe is egg-free (I used egg wash which can be skipped) but if it wasn't, simply swap out the egg(s) for water.
- Swap out the butter for vegan oil or cooking oil like Mazola corn oil.
- Swap out the milk for any plant based milk. I would recommend you use almond milk or soy milk but if you want a Pina Colada tasting Hawaiian bread then use coconut milk.
Other recipe to try with Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast.
Would love to see your #BakedFromScratch Hawaiian Sweet rolls because nothing tastes as good as #HomemadeDinnerRolls with Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast. Share your creations with me on Instagram using the #BakeItYourself and tagging @mydiasporakitchen.
You can also check out more delicious recipes using Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast here
If you enjoyed this recipe or found the post helpful, kindly share this recipe with family, friends and in your favorite Facebook group.
Please share the link to the recipe. Do not copy and paste the recipe. Thanks for your support and for always being amazing.
Click here to Pin these Hawaiian Sweet Rolls to your Breakfast board
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
Homemade Hawaiian sweet rolls recipe
- 3 cups of flour
- 3 Tbsp of sugar reserve ½ Tbsp for proofing the yeast.
- 1 Packet (2 ¼ tsp) Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast
- ½ teaspoon ￼salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 medium egg for egg wash. optional
- 6 Tbsp pineapple juice or crushed pineapples
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- Add flour, sugar and salt to mixing bowl.
- Proof the yeast.
- Add ¼ cup warm water to a bowl
- Add ½ Tbsp yeast to the water then add 1 packet of Fleischmann's®️ RapidRise®️ Yeast to the water sugar solution and stir.
- Let it rest for about 3 mins you will notice the bubbles on the yeast. This indicates the the yeast is active.
- Add butter to milk and warm up in the microwave for about 40 - 50 secs ( the butter doesn't have to melt completely)
- Pour butter and milk mixture into the flour, next pour the yeast and finally the pineapple juice.
- Turn on the mixer and mix till all ingredients are incorporated and forms a cohesive ball of dough. Knead for another 5 mins to get a supple dough.
- Cover the dough in the bowl with cling film or kitchen towel and let it rest for 10 mins
- After 10 mins, turn out dough onto a floured surface, divide dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll into balls and line them in a greased 9 by 9 square pan.
- Cover with kitchen towel and keep in a warm place for 30 mins till the rolls double in size.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Mix egg with 1 Tbsp of water or milk.
- Brush the top of the rolls with the egg wash
- Bake for 20 mins or until the buns are golden brown.
- If you use salted butter, there is no need to add salt.