Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy, soft and delicious. A red velvet cookie recipe is a great recipe to share any time of the year. These Rich red cookies speckled with white chocolate chips would brighten your dessert table. Made with my good old chocolate chip cookies as a base and my Red Velvet Cake in mind, these chewy red velvet chocolate chip cookies are perfect for Valentine's Day and Christmas. They promise to please everyone of your guests. Let me show you how to make them.
Table of Contents
Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
These red velvet cookies are easy to make and taste so delicious. The Perfect Red treat if you ask me.
But I would try not to throw caution to the wind when I am near these Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies. You should too because they taste soo good.
My son couldn't get enough of these. Right from when my daughter asked for a red Velvet Cake for her 7th birthday last November we have been 'red velveting' pretty much everything.
Red Velvet Cookies
Red Velvet Cookies are simply cookies made with the same concept as red velvet cakes. The use of cocoa powder and red food coloring to create a beautiful masterpiece.
What is the difference between Red Velvet Cookies and Red Velvet Chocolate Chips Cookies?
Just as the names imply, 'Red velvet Cookies are our classic plain red velvet cookies while Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe is the same red velvet cookie with extra fun, the chocolate chips.
They are not just pretty Cookies, they delicious too. You've got to try these red velvet cookies. They will give these awesome chocolate cookies a run for their money.
Variations of this Red Velvet Chocolate Chips Cookies
- Red velvet Chocolate Chip bars
- Red velvet cookies with white Chocolate Chips.
- Red Velvet Cookies with brown chocolate chips
- Red Velvet Cookies with a combination of both white and brown chocolate chips.
How to make Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- You will need some melted butter, a large egg and an egg yolk. You also need some brown or white sugar, some Cocoa powder and some red food coloring.
- The extra egg yolk helps with the structure and texture.
- Refrigerating the dough also helps with structure so I highly recommend it.
- Melted butter helps with the chewy and dense structure if you don't melt the butter. It tends to incorporate more air when you beat it the sugar which gives Cake-y cookie. Which is equally delicious but not what we are aiming for.
- Baking for about 15 minutes instead 18 mins will also help with a soft chewy cookie. In other words I tend to undertake them to get a softer chewy center. If you prefer a firmer cookie. Bake for up to 18 mins.
How to make Red Velvet Chocolate Chip cookie bars
To make red velvet chocolate chip cookie bars, bake the cookie dough in a 9 by 9 in cake pan and cut into bars when the cookie is baked.
Can I freeze the cookie dough
The red velvet cookie dough can be made ahead.
- Make the dough, form dough balls
- Freeze balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet till completely frozen.
- Transfer frozen dough balls to a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- When you are ready to bake them, bake straight from the freezer for 20 mins.
- Alternatively, thaw dough balls overnight in the refrigerator and bake as you would bake an initial batch that wasn't frozen.
How to store these cookies
These cookies will keep for up to a week in a cookie jar. If it stays that long.
- M & M Cookies ( adapt with red and white M & Ms )
- Pinwheel Cookies ( use red colored and plain colored dough to adapt for Valentine Cookies )
- Pink lemonade cookies
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
The kids literally couldn't have enough of these red velvet cookies I had to relocate the cookies to save them from themselves.
My son requested a red velvet cake with cream cheese glaze to take to school for their Christmas party.
That's how good red velvet has been to us. You need to give this a try for yourself or your loved one. It's worth it to see that red velvet smile in anyone's face.
Will you be making these red velvet cookies soon? That would be awesome. Make sure to tag @mydiasporakitchen, would love to see your beautiful creations.
Did you Enjoy this recipe? Or found the post helpful? Remember to SHARE with family, friends and in your favorite Facebook group. There is love in sharing.
★ Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ below!
Red Velvet chocolate chip Cookies
- ¾ cup butter melted then allowed to get to room temperature
- ¾ packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon red food color paste
- 2-½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ½ tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Mix flour, cornstarch, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk butter and Both brown and white sugar together ( make sure the butter has got to room temp to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- Add the vanilla flavor, vinegar, red food color, the egg and egg yolk, then whisk till well combined.
- Mix in the dry ingredients till well combined ( do not over mix ).
- Fold in ¾ cup of the white chocolate chips.
- Mold the dough into one ball and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Bring out refrigerated dough scoop by a heaping tablespoon full. Place 3 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with either parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Press down Cookie dough lightly, stick on more white chocolate chips on the top of the cookie.
- Bake for 15 mins.
- Bring out from oven, stick in some more white chocolate chips while cookies are still hot.
- Allow cookies cool on cookie sheet for about 8 mins then transfer to the cooking rack and let it cool completely.