Hey lovely people, this post was created based on the popular demand for my rainbow chin chin posted on Instagram and Facebook because today isn't my posting day lol. The idea for this chin chin came up due to the recent disaster in Texas in the form of hurricane Harvey
While praying for families and friends in the affected areas, The kiddos and I decided to support these families by making rainbow colored chin chin to brighten their days as the storm rages and perhaps encourage those who can to keep their scared little ones engaged in this little colorful project while waiting the storm out... Thankfully it is subsiding.
That was how this multicolored delight was born. And of course we had to use one of our favorite snacks to achieve this. This post isn't actually a recipe post because I already have an amazing chin chin recipe on the blog. This is more of a support post for victims of the hurricane.
[bctt tweet="Rainbow colored Chinchin: A message of HOPE.." username="mydiaspokitch"]
Besides the incessant inbox messages requesting for this recipe, this post was also prompted based on the flooding in Markurdi in Benue state in Nigeria. We are sending out our prayers too. Is there a way to set up funding for relief to these people like we have in the states for Texas. Please let's make haste.
How to make a Rainbow Colored Chin Chin.
There are a lot of platforms set up to donate for hurricane Harvey victims and their families. Please make your donations, nothing is really too small. We are in search of a way to create a platform to help Benue state suggestions are welcome in the comments section below. I will update the post when that is available.
[bctt tweet="Praying for the victims of these natural disasters #HuricaneHarvey #FloodinMarkurdi" username="mydiaspokitch"]
This is a post to inspire HOPE. Please share this post to all your platforms we never know where help would come from. Thank you.
Opportunists cash in on every situation and this situation is no different. Please be careful where you donate to. Before making any donation please ensure you are donating to a well known charity. Please read this guide from the Federal Trade Commission. Here is another interesting article. A list of organizations to donate to for the Harvey victims can be found in this article. But like I mentioned above please do your research before donating your money.
[bctt tweet="Donate for a just cause #HurricaneHarvey, #FloodinMarkurdi" username="mydiaspokitch"]
Find your rainbow chinchin 'how to' below while Praying for the victims of these natural disasters.
The links posted are from my own research. Please do your research before donating to any cause. I am not vouching for any charity in particular so please you are encouraged to do your own research.
My Rainbow Chinchin: A message of Hope
- 550 g All purpose flour
- 170 g Granulated sugar
- 113 g Salted butter
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 6 food safe colors in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
- Oil for deep frying
- Measure and Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Measure and mix wet ingredients together except butter.
- Add butter to the dry ingredients and mix with your fingers until just combined.
- Pour in the other wet ingredients and mix together until dough forms. it should form a perfect dough but if its feels a bit stiff, add a tablespoon of water or milk. if it feels too tacky, add a tablespoon or 2 of flour no more. DO NOT over work the dough.
- Wrap in a saran wrap and allow to rest on the counter for about 5 mins. this allows flavors blend in
- Unwrap rested dough, divide into 6 portions, color each p0rtion with the 6 different food colors above and roll individually.
- Cut into any desired shape either the traditional chinch shape or with small cookie cutters.
- Heat up oil. Fry for 10 - 12 mins. Remove with a slotted spoon and spread on a paper towel lined tray to cool. Chin chin will be soft when hot but hardens as it cools.